Cheap Source for Sub Poles?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by milesdf

I assume you are talking about the poles you put in subs and then highs go on the poles? check out lowes or home depot for pipe that size. spray paint it black.

I doubt you'll find that size pipe at a hardware store (or whatever they call those places now). I've heard that possibly fencing supply outfits maybe carry pipe that size sometimes... maybe? Maybe a muffler shop?

I'm of the impression that's a difficult size of pipe to source in a local manner.

• Members

I recently got some from Sweetwater for way less than $20 a pair. They had them in stock, and were the cheapest. I normally don't buy from Sweetwater, but they had the best price on these. They seem to be decent quality.

I actually have an extra pair if you wanna talk to me about those. ;) I'll make you a great deal.

And no, there's nothing in the hardware stores that will work. Believe me, I looked.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

I doubt you'll find that size pipe at a hardware store (or whatever they call those places now). I've heard that possibly fencing supply outfits maybe carry pipe that size sometimes... maybe? Maybe a muffler shop?

I'm of the impression that's a difficult size of pipe to source in a local manner.

Chain link fence pipe is available in 1-3/8" OD galvanized steel. I can't comment on how well the actual fit would be, never tried it.

1-1/4" nominal copper pipe has a 1-3/8" OD. I would not recommend using it for a speaker pole....it's not designed for this use, probably isn't strong enough, and is whippin' expensive. anyway.

• Members

I remember going through the hardware store searching for a cheap alternative to poles. I had no luck at all.

I thought it was rediculous what they were charging for speaker poles.

As I posted a few windows up, thoses "Samson" poles are adjustable, and under $40 for the PAIR was a great bargain I wanted to share.

• Members

Just out of curiousity I went to the McMaster-Carr website and priced schedule 40 aluminum pipe in the appropriate size - expensive! I suspect the music store really is the best deal, and it's already colored black.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by agedhorse

Tubing and pipe are measured differently. I believe tubing is measured using O.D. and pipe is measured using I.D. and the measurements are generally nominal though various tolerances are available.

Plumbing piping is just a mess....the nominal size of the pipe is often not reflected by either ID or OD. For example, 1/2" copper is 5/8" OD, and ID varies from 0.527" for K, to 0.569" for M. Many years ago it was 1/2" ID but as manufacturing methods improved the quality of finished product, it was possible to use thinner wall sizes, and in order to continue using the same fittings, OD remained constant and ID increased as walls got thinner.

• Members

Just thinking about the last time I tried to get some tube/pipe/round hollow stuff for a specific OD. I think I was looking for 2 1/4" OD. They didn't have any, so I ended up getting .125 wall 2" pipe, giving me the correct OD.

Here are the definitions of a pipe as per government specifications:

1. All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal or plastic centered around

the hole.

2. All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length - do not use holes of different

length than the pipe.

3. The I.D. (inside diameter) of all pipe must not exceed the O.D. (outside diameter) -

otherwise the hole will be on the outside.

4. All pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole so that water, steam or other stuff

can be put inside at a later date.

5. All pipe should be supplied without rust - this can be more readily applied at the job

site. N.B. Some Vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipe. If available in your area,

this product is recommended as it will save a lot of time on the job site.

6. All pipe over 500ft (153m) in length should have the words "long pipe" clearly painted

on each end, so the Contractor will know it is a long pipe.

7. Pipe over 2 miles (3.2km) in length must have the words "long pipe" painted in the

middle, so the Contractor will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine

whether or not it is a long pipe.

8. All pipe over 6" (152mm) in diameter must have the words "large pipe" painted on it,

so the Contractor will not mistake it for small pipe.

9. Flanges must be used on all pipe. Flanges must have holes for bolts quite separate

from the big hole in the middle.

10. When ordering 90 degrees, 45 degrees or 30 degrees elbow, be sure to specify right

hand or left hand; otherwise you will end up going the wrong way.

11. Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill or downhill pipe.

If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water will flow the wrong way.

12. All couplings should have either right hand or left hand thread, but do not mix

the threads - otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed on one pipe, it is unscrewed

from the other.

• Members

O.K. I don't want to sound like a snob here or that I don't appreciate saving a buck here or there or even a good deal....but most of you guys have umpteen thousand in pa equipment and you can't spend $25 for a set of stock speaker poles :confused:

• Members

Well-said, rxnet...

See what Kazum said was available at Parts Express...

or (last time, I promise) the Samson TS20, $39. for a PAIR, I got from Sam Ash. Why would you mess around with home-made looking stuff?

Love,

• Members

I don't think most people can see the difference between a pipe sold for it for double the price, and one that isn't. We are just talking a peice of pipe here, not a tripod stand.

Plus with one from a metal supply house, chances are you will get a much higher quality steel than one used in manufactering. :)

Archived