Yorkville LS700P Woes

• Members

We bought a used Yorkie LS700P for and switched it on today.

The output was relatively weak and distorted, with that ratty sound on some of the frequencies.

Cosmetically this thing looks new and I though that these had limiters to avoid damage - but I guess stupidity can find a way around any safeguards.

I am going to go in and test the impedance and see what I get before I go back to the seller.

Anything else I should do to narrow it down to gauge what my problem is?

Thanks!

• Members

1 - Be sure the ground switch is set to UNGROUNDED - the button will be pushed IN. - This has solved the problem you are referring to in the past (including me when I first got mine. You logically think, sure the "grounded" button should be "on".)

2 - If driving from a mixer then the input switch should be set to LINE - button OUT. (IN if you are coming off an amplifier into the sub)

3 - put your 1/4" cable into the LEFT (mono) input. Make sure you aren't using speaker cable. (unless of course you are running from an amplifier into the sub)

I hope it works out for you. Considering the size, it's a spanky little sub. We use (dance cover band) 2 for "strip mall" size clubs of up to about 200. Bigger clubs get the "big rig".

• Members
Originally posted by abzurd

1 - Be sure the ground switch is set to UNGROUNDED - the button will be pushed IN. - This has solved the problem you are referring to in the past (including me when I first got mine. You logically think, sure the "grounded" button should be "on".)

2 - If driving from a mixer then the input switch should be set to LINE - button OUT. (IN if you are coming off an amplifier into the sub)

3 - put your 1/4" cable into the LEFT (mono) input. Make sure you aren't using speaker cable. (unless of course you are running from an amplifier into the sub)

I hope it works out for you. Considering the size, it's a spanky little sub. We use (dance cover band) 2 for "strip mall" size clubs of up to about 200. Bigger clubs get the "big rig".

Couldn"t agree more, I did the same thing regarding the ground button.

• Members

Sorry for the delay.

Well before popping the back off I decided to try different ways of feeding it the signal from the powered mixer - a Yammie EMX5000.

So I spent little time over the last couple of days fiddling.

In the owner's manual for the Yammie it recommended taking a line-level feed off the "Mono Out" jack on top of the unit to feedback outboard powered equipment.

I tried every permutation of settings for the LS700P using the mono out source but still ended up with the same weak, ratty, distorted sound.

I then thought to try it instead with the speaker-level output (changing the necessary settings on the back of the sub) and put the sub in series with one of the mains - Voila - it works fine.

We have never used the mono out jack on the Yammie, so it's possible there is a problem with that output signal at the jack.

So it seems that it wasn't getting a proper signal for whatever reason in the first place.

No biggie it's no hassle to run it with the speaker level inputs going to mains.

So the Yorkie name remains unblemished in my household and next in line this summer is a pair of NX55P's to replace our barely acceptable old unpowered mains. We think those teamed with this sub will be a compact, easy to manage package for us.

"Considering the size, it's a spanky little sub. We use (dance cover band) 2 for "strip mall" size clubs of up to about 200. "

abzurd - that's exactly 90% of the gigs we play as a dance cover band too.

We thought we'd start with one sub and add another (and then we can leave both of the speaker stands at home) as needed since we aren't really that loud.

Thanks Guys!

• Members

I'm heading down to plug some headphones into the line level mono out jack on the Yammie now to see what kind of signal I get.

edited to add, I know for experienced PA operators it's all elementary but I have always found that Yammie owner's manual is not very clear in explaining some of the units controls. I felt like I had to learn by doing on more than a few occasions - and I've owned it for three years.

Archived