So I bought this wireless headset system.

• Members

...and Its impossible to find pictures of it!

Anyway, Most of my PA rentals seem to include speeches for business meetings. Ive noticed that every time, they ask if I have a lavalier wireless mic, and I don't. I had a handheld I would let them use instead. So... when I decided to go and finally buy a lavalier system for an upcoming event, my co-workers stopped me!! They told me that headset mics are far better sounding and easier to work with behind the board than lavaliers are as lavaliers are far more prone to feedback. I was still thinking, well the reason Im sure these people like lavaliers is because of their invisibility and because you just clip em on and dont think about it after that.

So I was kinda stuck in a rut until impulses told me to buy the compromise of the two. I looked behind me and behind the glass was the most expensive wireless system we carry in the store. Our EV RE2 wireless headset. I was not at all planning on spending that much money on a wireless system. I've heard it demo'ed before and knew it to be a very good sounding mic and noticed the mic and heaset were very very tiny like so:

http://www.axemusic.com/Pictures/ev_re97tx.jpg

So I figured this would be a great compromise and would be more useful to me overall in the future, as I could use it for acoustic gigs or maybe even some rockin ones.

It was a painful purchase... but I think I did the right thing. So do you guys think the clientelle willl dig it? Or do you think I should have still went with the lavalier or more likely still buy a lavalier in the future, because this is still a cool system? ;)

• Members

The RE-97 is a great mic, and a much better choice than any lavalier. We have 8 RE2's in our rental inventory, each with an RE-97. They go out all the time for theatre things, churches, and meetings. Occasionally we get someone that really wants a lavalier and won't take a headset for whatever reason, but those are few and far between.

I'd be hesitant to use it for any situation with much monitor volume, or for any high-SPL environment. It's an omnidirectional mic, so it picks up a lot of "other" stuff, and it's got a little bump in its frequency response between 4k and 5k that can be a little problematic sometimes. You'll still get tons more GBF than a lavalier though, and it's a very natural sounding mic.

If you're looking for a headset mic for performance, Crown makes the best, but I've never heard a headset that sounded good in a live music situation. Stick with a handheld, you can't do better. Actually, since you've got the RE2, pick up a RE410 handheld transmitter for it. Great mic. If you get the Pro version of the transmitter you can change capsules easily, even Shure capsules. That might be good for rentals too, even though the Pro version is significantly more expensive than the not Pro version.

The RE2 is a great system that doesn't kill your wallet, and it's super easy to use. Scanning for clear channels is quick and easy, and more effective than Shure's method. The guitar mode is cool too, and it sounds really good. You might think about picking up a handheld for your receiver, since I'm sure you'll need it eventually. You can modify the power adapter to power two receivers if you want to, which is nice if you have a rack of them, there's fewer wall-warts to eat up room.

Anyway, I'll quit gabbing about the RE2. Oh, and by the way, there are good pictures of the RE97 on the EV site, you just have to search for them. http://www.electro-voice.com/products/115.html. I don't know why they haven't updated that yet.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by SilleeSpyder

I'd say its more like the other way around;)

That's the thing...everyone's got their own idea of what counts as "steak" and what counts as "chicken". If you're getting requests for lavaliers, then that's what you should probably provide. Speakers generally aren't all that concerned with how much you paid or degrees of quality beyond it being decent.

Can anyone else tell it's almost lunchtime?:D

• Members

Almost all of our cutomers that used to rent lavs all the time are now renting the headsets. When we first switched over there was a bit of "no, this really is better", but in the last 6 months months of having headsets, we've only sent out a lav once, and that was for some TV thing. People use the headsets, realize how much better they are, and keep requesting them.

There will always be people who don't want to change, but 99% of people will listen when you tell them what they need. Just make sure you show them how to shape the headset over the ear, that's probably the main thing that inexperienced users experience frustration with.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

The One True Answer is, of course: Get both.
:D

:thu:

This time though, they'll have to settle for STEAK!!! But you're right, when the money comes up again I'll get a lav too... I'll have to see if there is a lav I can get with the RE2 setup. If not, I'm more likely going to not spend as much for it.

update: It looks like I can get either the RE90 TX or the RE92 TX for it... One appears to be cardioid while the other appears to be omni directional...

• Members

I like the concept, since I play percussion and sing in my band. I made my own, and will eventually wire it into a beltpack for wireless operation. The band says I even sing better since I started to use it, which is a great complement since it doesn't color the sound...supposedly electrets don't.

i suspect it has to do with the new freedom of movement, and not needing to worry about where the mike is.

Congratulations on your investment. Here's mine, just for kicks...it looks homemade because it is.

:)

prototype0002.jpg

Here's a full head version my son likes for jumping round and playing guitar. I jump around with no probloem, but this design makes him more comfortable, so I just made it for him.

prototype0004.jpg

Both use 6mm diameter (just under 1/4 inch) electret elements and a 9 volt battery, although less voltage works just fine...we have other uses for 9 volts that make it a good choice for carrying spares at a gig. His is adjusted (bent) to fit his skinny head and face...no problem, even though he wasn't around when I made it, and I used my fat head and face to make it.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

I work with a lot of convention/corporate gigs, and mostly what I see now is the headsets. The sound doesn't fade in and out when the presenter moves his/her head for emphasis, and it looks hi-tech, which most presenters/execs are happy about.

FOr music, there are a few cardiod mics available, so yeah, I agree about the GBF, as long as the person is not looking for a blazing monitor, you should be alright with the omni. THey also do fairly well rejecting feedback from your FOH, provided that it is aligned/aimed correctly.

I did have one presenter who wouldn't use the headset (out of 20+ presenters in a 5 day conference) and we just sat at the board shaking our heads when he was inaudible, nothing I can do if he isn't projecting into the mic.....

Buying a lav that will fit into the transmitter and a handheld that can operate on the same frequency would be a good idea, keep all of your bases covered, anyway....

Archived