Effects Kill Switch for Talking to Crowd

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Ok so... does that mean, "Yes, I usually kill the effects to talk to the crowd." ??
:confused:

Yes, provided the sound guy isn't asleep (which happens here and there- literally) it gets toggled off. If using the Voiceworks the effects come through the monitor so I can tell if they are on or not.

If you're running from stage through a mixwiz your monitor mix will be dry and you may not know if they are on or not.

• Members

Nothing really good to add. I just wanted to say that i hate the manual for that mixer! Bah! It looks like there is a effects enable button, if the mixer is close enough you could just toggle this on and off. Also, if you'd like to void your warrenty, you could rig up an external switch running off this, a simple latching switch would do it. Good luck!

-greg-

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Yes, provided the sound guy isn't asleep (which happens here and there- literally) it gets toggled off. If using the Voiceworks the effects come through the monitor so I can tell if they are on or not.

If you're running from stage through a mixwiz your monitor mix will be dry and you may not know if they are on or not.

Aye - but a few of the places where I play where I'd be supplying my own PA are small enough that I can catch some of the mains so I'll be able to tell.

• Members

Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

I do know that as the lead singer I was made responsible for turning the effects off and on and I continually screwed it up, turning them on for speaking and off for singing, then realizing it halfway through the introduction or the song. Would have helped to have an LED light on the switch so I could tell when it was on or off.

I do the that sometimes - kill effects for speaking then forget to kick 'em back on for singing... :o:p

THAT's why I'm so curious to know what other folks do - I'm guessing many just say the hell with it and leave effects on all the time, even when speaking... :confused::eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Gregidon

Nothing really good to add. I just wanted to say that i hate the manual for that mixer! Bah! It looks like there is a effects enable button, if the mixer is close enough you could just toggle this on and off. Also, if you'd like to void your warrenty, you could rig up an external switch running off this, a simple latching switch would do it. Good luck!

-greg-

If you mean for the Yamaha MG16/6FX - why? Manual seems pretty straightforward to me - I downloaded form the Yam. site... (I don't own a MG16/6FX, am considering it though).

It does look like there's an On/Off switch for the effects right on the mixer itself, with a light -

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Nov03/images/yamahamg2.l.jpg

...so that's cool - though the lack of a footpedal jack still seems odd to me, given that the MG12/2FX apperently DOES have the footpedal jack!

But I guess if I were standing near it I could toggle on and off w/the button - it's just nice to not have to turn aroun to do it, if you have a foot pedal you just stomp on it... :p

• Members

This is just my opinion here: If you are using so much effects that it's annoying to hear it without the music playing, maybe you are using too much effects during the song. Unless, of course, the vocals require that particular effect for the uniqueness of that song. You might not need all those effects!

The only time we had problems with too many effects when we were speaking was when we hired a new soundman and he didn't know what he was doing. That was his last show with us.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, and everyones got one. It's neither right or wrong...it's just an opinion.

• Members

You know many FX units use a pedal with a 1/4 plug to bypass the FX externally. One could be placed at your feet and voila! problem solved. If you don't have much to say then don't bother, if you're really going on a rant here then a bypass switch would work best.

• Members

"Yes, I usually kill the effects to talk to the crowd."

...when I was running sound for a band last year, using a Yamaha MG24. I would do this by using the on/off buttons above the FX return faders.

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

You know many FX units use a pedal with a 1/4 plug to bypass the FX externally. One could be placed at your feet and voila! problem solved. If you don't have much to say then don't bother, if you're really going on a rant here then a bypass switch would work best.

Did you bother to read the rest of the post?

-greg-

• Members

Originally posted by Gregidon

Did you bother to read the rest of the post?

-greg-

yeah, so anyway the board does not have an effects bypass 1/4 jack which some boards do. There isn't a standard yet on how boards deal with on-board FX yet, yamaha has the nicest option of making a faux-channel strip for it which is the best I've seen. Use the ON/OFF button if it bugs you that much.

The board MAY use a switched 1/4 jack on the EFX SEND. You could use a footswitch that grounds tip to sleeve in the ON position. This would have the same effect as a bypass swicth except actual signal would be going thru the footswitch itself. I would recommend just reaching over an pressing the OFF button on the efx return channel...

p

• Members

The board MAY use a switched 1/4 jack on the EFX SEND. You could use a footswitch that grounds tip to sleeve in the ON position. This would have the same effect as a bypass swicth except actual signal would be going thru the footswitch itself. I would recommend just reaching over an pressing the OFF button on the efx return channel...

p

It does, i checked the block diagram. (Good thinking Unalaska :thu:, not being sarcastic) This should work out fine. Just wire up a TRS cable to a footswitch that connects tip to sleeve and then switches to connect tip to ring when you press a button. Anyone back me up on this....

• Members

3 piece band here, I run the sound normally, sometimes Mixwiz on stage, sometimes 60' out front with snake (I know, I know, we use IEMs, never feedback problems, Mixwiz out front allows us to set sound better, we don't play bars). I control my vocal effects via my guitar floor effect processor's midi out, changes patches with songs. MOST patches the vocals effects are fine to talk through mic, but for a couple patches they would be too heavy. Foot switch to a generic effect patch, no problem.

My IEMs monitor a little effect, just to verify it's on, without throwing me off.

• Members

Originally posted by BlackBelt

This is just my opinion here: If you are using so much effects that it's annoying to hear it without the music playing, maybe you are using too much effects during the song. Unless, of course, the vocals require that particular effect for the uniqueness of that song. You might not need all those effects!

The only time we had problems with too many effects when we were speaking was when we hired a new soundman and he didn't know what he was doing. That was his last show with us.

Like I said, this is just my opinion, and everyones got one. It's neither right or wrong...it's just an opinion.

That is in fact... your opinion. :D

However, I like a nice juicy vocal sound, which thickens my voice (combination delay+reverb or just straight delay) - I don't claim to the greatest singer around but the difference between singing WITH said effect and WITHOUT said effect is obvious: I sound better WITH it! :p

I don't deny that it might be a bit "heavy" but if it does the job to make me sound better and yet doesn't feed back, then hey... don't knock it. And trust me when I say that it's great for singing but overdone for talking. :cool:

• Members

yeah, so anyway the board does not have an effects bypass 1/4 jack which some boards do. There isn't a standard yet on how boards deal with on-board FX yet, yamaha has the nicest option of making a faux-channel strip for it which is the best I've seen. Use the ON/OFF button if it bugs you that much.

p

Maybe that pedal on the EFX Send would work - maybe not.

Obviously I could turn around and hit the OFF button on the mixer (if I owned this mixer, the Yam. MG16/6FX) - it's nice that there is actually an ON/OFF button there.

But then I'd always have to be turning around to do that, and in very close proximity to the unit. A foot pedal w/a long cable, on the other hand, lets me stand there and talk to the crowd w/out having to keep walking back & forth to press the stupid little On/Off button on the mixer! :thu:

• Members

Maybe u could come out of the fx out and into an in line on and off switch and from there back to a channel to return the fx

providing the yamaha bypasses the internal circuitry and sends the fx out..

i'm not sure, but u could try it....

• Members

Another suggestion would be to kill the fx return fader and send fx to aux 1...come out of aux 1 send...to an on/off foot switch.....back to a channel

providing ur not using aux 1 send for monitors or something...

but be sure and do not turn up aux 1 send

on the channel you're returning the fx to

cuz you may get a loop....

i'm pretty sure this will work, cuz I think the yamaha mg16/6fx has fx send to aux 1 and 2

• Members

Um just courious how much FX do you use on your vocals? I see guys who saturate the {censored} out of them through their entire set list I get ear fatigue after awhile. And figured their trying to hide their non-singing ass.

no pun intended towards you but a touch is all I ever used just verily noticeable. Never had a problem with peeps not understanding 1/2 price drinks or bring us more drinks up here or the bass player joke no we don't play Rap and ect ect.... And I sure the reason Yamaha didn't add a kill switch was to keep the price down for selling more unit in that price range.

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

Um just courious how much FX do you use on your vocals? I see guys who saturate the {censored} out of them through their entire set list I get ear fatigue after awhile. And figured their trying to hide their non-singing ass.

no pun intended towards you but a touch is all I ever used just verily noticeable. Never had a problem with peeps not understanding 1/2 price drinks or bring us more drinks up here or the bass player joke no we don't play Rap and ect ect.... And I sure the reason Yamaha didn't add a kill switch was to keep the price down for selling more unit in that price range.

I use effects that make the voice sound thicker - thick enough to sound good while singing, yet just a bit too thick to make faster-talking spoken words a bit hard to make out. Not completely unintelligible, but certainly not as clear as talking on a "dry" mic. I never dreamed this topic would be so controversial... :eek::confused:

BTW -

Cost savings could be why they left off the jack for the foot switch for effects - but they only left it off of this particular model, in the MG line: all the others have it. And maybe THAT's what pisses me off the most... :mad::p

Archived