Ok what happened?

• Members

I was playing music through my new PA rig today, not more than two or three hours ago. Sounded great.

Now when I go to play it, it sounds like ass. I think it has something to do with the speaker wiring ( only difference between how its hooked up now and how it was hooked up then ).

Tell me if I screwed anything up:

Left ST XLR out of Yamaha mixer to

Q1311 31 band EQ, into

left side of a dbx 223xl.

This is how I set the crossover:

Stereo mode ( I don't want to deal with lows/mids/highs, just lows/everything else ). I am only using the left side of it. I have the crossover frequency at around 200Hz. The highs/mids go into channel 1 of my QSC RMX1850HD power amp, and the lows go into channel 2.

I plug the speakers into the power amp with banana plugs to 1/4" on the speaker. Channel 1 to the two 15s, and channel 2 to the two 18s.

Earlier today, it sounded great, but now it sounds terrible. The volume comes and goes, it sounds raspy, and sometimes it cuts off. I only have this problem with channel 1. Channel 2 works fine.

My dad thinks its a polarity issue. I've tried both speakers both ways.

Any idea whats wrong?

• Members

Clip light doesn't flash. I'll try setting the crossover lower.

I am beginning to think its a bad cable... I am going to buy some Speakon-1/4" cables as soon as I get a budget up for it. The banana plug cables I have aren't so good.

I have a question about the polarity also-

Is the tip or the sleeve of the 1/4" the hot?

• Members

Originally posted by mparsons

Is it ok to use a banana plug cable and a speakon cable on the same amp?

You need to be sure of how the Speak-On is wired. Some amps pick up a second channel on the same Speak-On for bi-amp purposes over a single connector so the details ARE important.

• Members

Now would be a good time to bring up the different tyes of speakon....NL2, NL4, NL8.... all with different numbers of poles... here's what Wikipedia says on the subject:

Speakon connectors are available in two-, four- and eight-pole configurations. The two-pole line connector will mate with the four-pole panel connector, connecting to +1 and -1; but the reverse combination will not work. The eight-pole connector is physically larger to accommodate the extra poles. The four-pole connector is the most common at least from the availability of ready-made leads, as it allows for things like Bi-amping (two of the four connections for the higher-frequency signal, with the other two for the lower-frequency signal) without two separate cables."

We run an NL2 from our powered subs to the non-powered subs and NL4 from the mid and HI amp rack to the top(s) (biamped), for a triamped system....

NL8 is a big daddy, which can send four speaker signals in one cable. THat is what I understand, (makes sense, if NL2 is one speaker signal, NL4 is two speaker levels....) using mostly NL4's or Nl2's, someone else may be better equiped to explain that one....

Archived