Problem with Peavey CS 4080HZ

• Members

Hey there,

This past weekend we were playing a gig and our sub amp (CS 4080HZ, only 2 months old) starting freaking out for no apparent reason. We weren't pushing the amp hard at all...when we purchased our PA system, I even stayed at the store and we hooked everything up there to make sure we got things 100% correct. I made diagrams, and took othe notes and use them every time we set up.

The amp wouldn't turn off, but it would short out and we wouldn't get a signal at all. After about 3 or 4 seconds, the signal would come back. Some of the lights in the place we were playing at would also cut out along with the amp. Our CS 4000 that we are using for our tops is fine.

Anybody know of anything that could cause this? I'm positive we hooked everything up correctly, and we weren't pushing the amp to hard.....no clipping/peaking of the amp.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zach

• CMS Author

There are a couple of possibilities regarding the venue's power. As mentioned, a bad circuit breaker will cut open and then reclose. This is potentially very dangerous if the load is above the threshold where the breaker really should trip.

It's also possible that the amp was not on the same circuit as the lights, but was on the same leg of the service, and depending upon whether the service is single phase or three-phase, certain faults can cause voltage to drop severely, enough possibly to release a power-on relay in the amp (if it has one....Don, can you answer about this?).

Have you had a chance to try the system again on different power?

• Members

Well it could be anything ... but if the lights in the joint were flickering too it's a pretty good bet that it's related to some local power issue.

Zach ... I'd certainly hook it up somewhere else and see if there's still a problem or it's gone ... before your next gig. You should also measure your speaker cables just to be sure.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Well it could be anything ... but if the lights in the joint were flickering too it's a pretty good bet that it's related to some local power issue.

Oops, I read that as the lights on the amp:eek:

Yeak, could be an intermittent power connection as well.

• Members

we've been using the cs4080's driving subs and cs4000 driving tops. we run stereo 3-way with an amp rack on each side. each rack has a cs4080 that drives 4-18" w bins(2 per amp channel for 4 ohm load) and a cs 4000 driving the mids and highs(amp split for mids and highs). we have never had a problem with either amp. we tap our own power though. post back when you find what is wrong. thanks.

• Members

I did some checking and it confirmed my first thoughts that you amp problem was caused by sagging voltage.

Among the protection circuits in the CS4080HZ is a relay that interupts the audio flow should the amp go into protection mode from low voltage. That way you won't get a big bang as the unit comes out of protection and back up.

Archived