Bass direct to PA

• Members

That's debatable. I play through an SVT, so you know my tone is colored.
:)

Current bass player uses a Peavey something I think. Plays pretty clean, but I used to play with a guy that used an old V4B. He was a Grand Funk fan so he used a really pushed hard, distorted sound, that definitely wouldn't have worked direct.

• Members

An overdriven output can certainly work direct if you take a post-eq (and thus gainstage) DI output, assuming you are overdirving the gain stages of your amp. Again, what you are heringon stage is totally different than what makes it out to the house, your on stage eq will generally be lesss useable and compromising to a (good) FOH engineer.

• CMS Author

An overdriven output can certainly work direct if you take a post-eq (and thus gainstage) DI output, assuming you are overdirving the gain stages of your amp. Again, what you are heringon stage is totally different than what makes it out to the house, your on stage eq will generally be lesss useable and compromising to a (good) FOH engineer.

But it can definitely be mixed for a great effect if you've got a clean and an effected signal available at the desk.

• Members

Like I posted earlier you can use either a Sansamp Bass DI or the Ampeg DI which is just my own personal choice if you want to add colored sound. And it's pretty easy to dail in a good bass for FOH. I like to use my Sansamp bass DI at front end of the amp that way my amp and FOH mix sounds similar plus when not engage it's just straight DI. Plenty of users that use this method and there's no set in stone law saying you got to have straight DI for bass. Personally after I bought my Sansamp my EWI DI collects dust. Before the Sansamp Bass DI I just used the EWI DI straight into the mixer but now after I started using the Sansamp DI I doubt I'll ever use a straight instrument DI approach again it's kinda like WTF happen to my bass sound.:eek: Just my opinion and do what you will and peace out.

• Members

This is why I feel it's critical to use both a clean DI and mic'd cabinet signal. For some reason the bass often gets short shrift, as if the tone doesn't matter. The guitarist is given boatloads of leeway and 'insists' on having his tone duplicated...everyone walks on eggshells around him, while the bassist is supposed to be content with "thump thump thump" all night. Sorry, doesn't fly. I'd like to see you tell any guitarist, "hey, we're gonna run you direct tonite".
:D

I wish some guitarists (especially some of the numetal types) actually knew what their guitar sounded like in relation to other instruments on stage. Sure your guitar might sound great to you when you are standing in front of your 4x12 with the speakers blowing the sound past your knees in your bedroom or at practice, but what happens when I try to mix your smiley face scooped mid sound with drums and bass? Mud, thats what happens.... sorry for the rant, lol. The same goes for some bass players. I run into guys who think that bass means all low end and they cut the highs and mids out of it leaving a undefined blubbery sound that can't be seperated from the drums and lacks punch. As a bass player I hate that.

• Members

I wish some guitarists (especially some of the numetal types) actually knew what their guitar sounded like in relation to other instruments on stage. Sure your guitar might sound great to you when you are standing in front of your 4x12 with the speakers blowing the sound past your knees in your bedroom or at practice, but what happens when I try to mix your smiley face scooped mid sound with drums and bass? Mud, thats what happens.... sorry for the rant, lol. The same goes for some bass players. I run into guys who think that bass means all low end and they cut the highs and mids out of it leaving a undefined blubbery sound that can't be seperated from the drums and lacks punch. As a bass player I hate that.

God your describing just about all the metal bands here in my area all low end mud every metal band I've seen here in my area sound the same except for one who figured out to add a little mid in their amps and they sound the best because you can tell each instrument from the other.BTW actually one band named their band like they sound Mushmud.

Archived