Stage Monitors

• Members

So how many bands you know use Gemini for their monitors or mains ? vs bands that use more respected brands with proven track records. Beside I agree with Graig about IEM personally.

I don't tour with Bon Jovi or Nickelback, but I assume that you are probably correct in regard to 'respected bands with proven track records' having nice gear. You think if I was loaded I would be using Gemini's? Hell, I'd have an array if my pocketbook was a little thicker. However, in my neck of the Carolina backwoods you're apt to see anything from any given pawn shop on any given stage...from boys who have been around the block a time or two...

...which may or may not equate to us (and them) being respectable or having some kind of track record. Until we got these Gemini's we were using very old Peavey wedges with a very old single channel Peavey M3000. Did that give more street cred and respectability than the Gemini's?

• Members

Phonic is not necessicarily a bottom of the barrel brand... they are also an OEM manufacturer capable of some very good work. For example, they were an OEM contractor for some of Yamaha's consoles about 10-15 years ago.

For me, it makes PLENTY of sense to avoid any failures where possible. If I can pay 4x as much to eliminate 4x as many failures, that's a great tradeoff IMO. My experience with Gemini is that aside from the reliability, they are unuseable for any of my applications from a performance standpoint, and they are heavy as hell for the performance they offer. They are also nowhere near as efficient as I need for any of my applications.

If quality and performance are not important, it's a viable alternative for your application though.

Ya, I certainly wouldn't place Gemini on the same rung as Phonic.

• Members

Phonic is one band that definitely surprises me all the time. I've got a Phonic dual-31 band EQ that must be fifteen years old... it just says "Articulate Sound" and their blue Phonic logo on the front. No idea what its age is but it's been around the block more than a few times! Still works great too.

• Members

For me, it makes PLENTY of sense to avoid any failures where possible. If I can pay 4x as much to eliminate 4x as many failures, that's a great tradeoff IMO. My experience with Gemini is that aside from the reliability, they are unuseable for any of my applications from a performance standpoint, and they are heavy as hell for the performance they offer. They are also nowhere near as efficient as I need for any of my applications.

If quality and performance are not important, it's a viable alternative for your application though.

Guys, I understand! These are not Bag End cabinets- I fully agree. I expect no failures from any equipment that I buy simply because I have had good luck with equipment and I don't push any beyond reasonable expectations. Keep in my this was a stage monitor thread. I'm not advocating using these for FOH at Madison Square Garden. For the inquired purpose, they perform fine. That's all I'm saying. Of course I'd rather have the EV's, but that was not in the cards for my limited budget- which is spent for the Front.

Thanks to everyone for your candid opinions- I generally concur. Mom.

• Members

Hey guys, I'm gonna try to steer this thread back to the original question :)

Craigv:

You make a very strong case for the IEMs. My main concern was the disconnect that I may have with the other musicians and the audience. Like I said, having IEMs seem like they would be great...not only for monitoring...but also for saving my ears. If you also run your band's PA, while using IEMs, then that makes me feel more confident about the whole thing. I'd be willing to spend extra if the IEMs would work out.

Now let me ask you this. I've heard from some to avoid the PSM 200s and instead get the PSM 400s. How do the 200s work out for you?

• Members

I don't tour with Bon Jovi or Nickelback, but I assume that you are probably correct in regard to 'respected bands with proven track records' having nice gear. You think if I was loaded I would be using Gemini's? Hell, I'd have an array if my pocketbook was a little thicker. However, in my neck of the Carolina backwoods you're apt to see anything from any given pawn shop on any given stage...from boys who have been around the block a time or two...

...which may or may not equate to us (and them) being respectable or having some kind of track record. Until we got these Gemini's we were using very old Peavey wedges with a very old single channel Peavey M3000. Did that give more street cred and respectability than the Gemini's?

I'm not talking about pro touring bands , hell they have {censored} we only dream about owning. I was talking well respected brands. But hey man if the Gemini's work for you that great that's what it's all about. Anyway I understand all about empty pockets and does a brand earn you more respect sure it does because you'll sound better. But hey I've been down the budget gear road and that's just my opinion on budget gear may work for some but didn't work for me peace out.

Archived