Powering NX35/350's

• Members

Got a pair of NX35's coming that will be used as monitors for myself and lead vocals. The question is what amps are people using to power these babies?

Search turned up a RMX1850HD as a good candidate. Any other power amps that can be suggested.

• Members

Current system is a PV2600 powering 2 SP115MX's.

Mike- if you think the 1804 will work that would be about 20+ lbs out of the rack. Since I started physical therapy for my lower back this morning (which is why the NX35's are replacing the 75lb PV's) any weight savings is good.

• Members

Between 200-400 watts per cab should be fine. The NX350 and NX35 look very similar but have completely different woofers and horns. The NX350 have a B&C 12'' neo woofer with an Eighteen Sound HD120 horn while the NX35 has all Celestion neo components and uses a slightly different cabinet material. The NX350s also got Yorkville's PTC (positive temperature coeficient) protection while the newer NX35 have the less sophisticated dual bulb CTL (current to light) protection. I haven't heard the NX35s, but if the sound of my NX55Ps is any indication, they should sound very good indeed. I had four NX350s for about 2 years and they worked great, got very loud and were extremely light. They were perfectly powered by my Yamaha P5000 (700 watts/channel at 4 ohms). Al

• Members

So what are the nx35/nx350's rated at in RMS? They're listed as 350w program at 8ohms. Does that mean they are 175 RMS at 8ohms?

I power my two nx350's with one side of a Soundtech PS800 (400w @ 4ohms per channel), so each are seeing about 200W @ 4 ohms. Am I underpowering them?

• Members

Going slightly OT here, how do you guys like the NX350/NX35? I've read that the horns are quite smooth and articulate sounding. Any truth to this?

I've been thinking about getting a pair for installation at a small lounge that holds about 60 people. The weeknights are pretty laid back and relaxing (jazz, classics, adult contemporary) but owner wants to do dance (funk, disco, r'n'b, house) and maybe live acoustic combos on the weekends. Eventually, the place will be renovated (expanded) to hold about 100-150 people and I may install another pair of speakers if necessary.

I want the speakers to be versatile in application in that they sound good at low volume on weeknights and be loud and clear enough on weekends. Sub duty is currently by one active 18 inch box. Do you think the NX35 is a good candidate for the job?

V.

• Members

Going slightly OT here, how do you guys like the NX350/NX35? I've read that the horns are quite smooth and articulate sounding. Any truth to this?

I've been thinking about getting a pair for installation at a small lounge that holds about 60 people. The weeknights are pretty laid back and relaxing (jazz, classics, adult contemporary) but owner wants to do dance (funk, disco, r'n'b, house) and maybe live acoustic combos on the weekends. Eventually, the place will be renovated (expanded) to hold about 100-150 people and I may install another pair of speakers if necessary.

I want the speakers to be versatile in application in that they sound good at low volume on weeknights and be loud and clear enough on weekends. Sub duty is currently by one active 18 inch box. Do you think the NX35 is a good candidate for the job?

V.

As long as there is some bottom end reinforcement, the NX350 or NX35 should sound very nice. They do have a very pleasant and smooth mid and high frequency response but are a little weak in the bass department.... Al

• Members

So what are the nx35/nx350's rated at in RMS? They're listed as 350w program at 8ohms. Does that mean they are 175 RMS at 8ohms?

I power my two nx350's with one side of a Soundtech PS800 (400w @ 4ohms per channel), so each are seeing about 200W @ 4 ohms. Am I underpowering them?

As long as you aren't clipping them then you are fine. Just remember, the amp doesn't have a limiter so it's easy to go into clip. If the red light isn't coming on and you're getting the volume you need then it's all good. I use a PS802 (newer model of the 800) to power 2 EV ZX1's. They are only 8" cabs, but not extremely efficient. I can clip them pretty easily and it's very audible. The NX's are considerably more efficient I think.

Archived