COuld I hear your passive and active sub recommendations?

• Members

I've decided my next purchase is going to be either an active sub (the easy choice) or a passive sub with a power amp. I'm definately going to have price concerns so not looking for the really high end and expensive stuff. Maybe $400-$500 for passive and up to around $700 for active.

I've already been looking at Yorkville LS700 and NX720. Also checked out the LS200 which I know some said is not enough but would be alot better than nothing and not alot of powered ones in that price range.

On the passive end, there are lots of choices but it would require some mods on my PA so active is an easier solution.

Any others to look at in my price range?

ps I can get new LS700 or NX720 for about $680 which are about as high as I can go. Anyone use the NX720 yet or any reviews of them somewhere I could read?

• Members

I'd probably eventually end up with 2 of them but for starters, just going to add one. Probably won't be adding a 2nd for a few months unless the band really starts booking larger stuff. Right now, it looks like just small venues (50-75 people) so thinking one would be enough to really help the yamaha SM112V mains.

Oh and did a search for that earthquake. I know subs tend to be heavy but did you know it weighs 166 pounds! Yikes... I'd rather go with something lighter and assume I could add a second one later if/when gig size goes up.

• Members
I'd probably eventually end up with 2 of them but for starters, just going to add one. Probably won't be adding a 2nd for a few months unless the band really starts booking larger stuff. Right now, it looks like just small venues (50-75 people) so thinking one would be enough to really help the yamaha SM112V mains.

Oh and did a search for that earthquake. I know subs tend to be heavy but did you know it weighs 166 pounds! Yikes... I'd rather go with something lighter and assume I could add a second one later if/when gig size goes up.

Yes, I have 8 Sonic Earthquake copies. Same size and about the same weight. I only use 4 for most indoor stuff.

• Members

You younger guys can handle all that lifting... my back isn't up for that sort of thing anymore. I am hoping to find something under 80 pounds and bonus points if it is under 60 pounds. Course with subs, lighter usually means less umphh too. I think that new NX720 weighs around 70 pounds which isn't too bad. Just wish I could find some in a shop to try out.

• Members

I know not many on this site like Behringer I have been very happy with the mixer I bought last fall. Anyway they make a small 18 sub that has a passive crossover in the speaker cab And while I haven't used them I have heard them and there a decent sub and they will work very well with your EMX-512 mixer they also have pole socket's so you can get your top speaker's up in the air! The best part is the price the last time I checked at my music store they were 239.00 each. I would at least give them a look I think you will be impressed! And because they have the passive crossover inside the sub's you just plug in the tops and run a speaker cord from there to the subs, very easy to use.

• Members

You younger guys can handle all that lifting... my back isn't up for that sort of thing anymore. I am hoping to find something under 80 pounds and bonus points if it is under 60 pounds. Course with subs, lighter usually means less umphh too. I think that new NX720 weighs around 70 pounds which isn't too bad. Just wish I could find some in a shop to try out.

Where do you live? I have some LS700Ps for sale, but shipping would be a bear I would imagine.

• Members

GCDEF, I would have no problem with used if the price were right but I think you are right, shipping is probably brutal. I live in Dallas Texas area so would not be too cheap ground ship to florida. Guess it is always worth checking though. If yours are still in good working condition, Hit me up with a price and shipping estimate.

Don, I didn't see any behringer subs at the local store. I'm thinking GC may not carry them but I will look.

Aged Horse, I love that MRX sub but at $599 for passive, it would just drive the total price too high for me right now. Great sounding sub though. I heard it combined with the MRX512 and 515 and they sounded great.

So anyone had personal experience with the NX720 yorkvilles yet? I know they are alot lighter than the 700 and same power.

Oldrock

• Members

as Andy mentioned, the JBL Mpro and better single 18 subs work well, and are somewhat scalable (meaning you can start with one and add a few more if you need in the future). The Mpro 418s is only 65lbs and a decent performer (I have two).

remember with subs, you are kinda "commiting". You shouldn't mix and match different subs, and they are difficult to resell (shipping costs).

My suggestion, buy a single (or two) subs, for example a 700 or 720. If your needs grow beyond that, use the initial purchase as a "B" system and buy something larger/more scalable for your "A" system (like the 800).

• Members

On your post you say not more than 400 or 500 for passive and not more than 700 active, my question is does your band have any job's booked now? Are you playing club's on a regular basis and getting paid? If not I would go slow in spending money on sub's you can always move up in a year or so and no matter what you end up buying you will take a beating when you try to sell them " especialy when your talking about sub's " Also large are the places your playing? Good Luck:thu:

• Members

I know not many on this site like Behringer I have been very happy with the mixer I bought last fall. Anyway they make a small 18 sub that has a passive crossover in the speaker cab And while I haven't used them I have heard them and there a decent sub and they will work very well with your EMX-512 mixer they also have pole socket's so you can get your top speaker's up in the air! The best part is the price the last time I checked at my music store they were 239.00 each. I would at least give them a look I think you will be impressed! And because they have the passive crossover inside the sub's you just plug in the tops and run a speaker cord from there to the subs, very easy to use.

I had a pair of Behringer B1800Xs for a few years. Picked them up scratch & dent sale from Interstate Music for $180 each. Particle board manufacture so they won't handle much physical abuse. Actually sounded pretty good, especially for the cost. Powered them normally in stereo off a RMX2450 using a CX2310 crossover.

Yes, it has a passive crossover built in. I do not recommend using it. It's crossover point is too high unless you are using MI grade 10" tops. 175Hz with a 9dB/oct low pass and a 12dB/Oct high pass. IF you do use the passive crossover, you run into the Speakon one terminals marked INPUT and out the speakon one terminals marked output to the tops. I tried this with SM12IV for tops and was NOT happy. They have a switch marked bi-amp & passive. Passive allows the above. Bi-amp position redirects the speakon two INPUT terminals direct to the woofer and also pass through out the Speakon two output terminals, speakon ones not used.

Before I got the RMX2450 for them, I used a Mackie 1400 in stereo. The mackie had a ribbon cable or cold solder problem that caused one side to cut in and out at low output. I think this damaged one driver. I was still under warranty and was able to ship just the driver to the authorized repair facility in NYC and they sent me a new driver. No problems after that and got the new power amp shortly thereafter. I sold them to a guy locally that wanted a second pair of them!

For bar band use, they are quite functional. But again, use an active crossover. While not usually my first recommendation, they are quite cost effective. Unfortunately the gray ratfur does make them stand out from others if mixing brands. I used black painted original series SP2s over them ;>(

But the package sounded good ;>)

Boomerweps

• Members

All good info and very helpful. Good point about mixing and matching and I agree. makes sense to pick something that will grow with the band. One sub should be plenty for our needs right now but I could see adding a second in the future.

Don, as for gigs, the band has done some little stuff but recently has been offered to do an ongoing gig which is why I am trying to scrape together a decent pa. The place has some low end pa stuff the band can use but it doesn't sounds very good so I want to bring my own. Room is not too big (maybe 30' x 50') with maybe 40-50 people.

I think one decent sub and a pair of yamaha SM112v for mains should work and sound pretty good in that size venue. I do have stands for the mains and stage is elevated 3-4 feet which should help. Just got to find a good solid sub (preferably powered) that doesn't weigh or cost a ton.

• Members

Ya, I'm the youngest in my band. I won't be 50 for almost 2 years!

• Members

My bass player has a pair of them that we use for our little 2-piece gigs. They sound pretty bad. I've heard other cheap subs that sound a lot better.

• Members

Thanks Don and i will see if I can find some to try out. I'm in my 40s and weight is a big factor since I may do some loading and unloading by myself.

I load and unload my Sonics quite often they are heavy but their large size is actually helpful. You tip them back and get the front bottom into the van, then just lift the backs up and in.

• Members

Tbone, I hate deadlifting those heavy loads. I played in a band in the 80s and had no problem shlepping around heavy stuff back then but these days, I try to avoid the heavy stuff without help. I load into the back of an explorer which is not exactly the ideal setup for heavy stuff not to mention it gets pretty cramped even though it is one of the new ones where the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat.

btw, I bet your setup is earth rattling with all those powerful subs in the mix!

• Members

Tbone, I hate deadlifting those heavy loads. I played in a band in the 80s and had no problem shlepping around heavy stuff back then but these days, I try to avoid the heavy stuff without help. I load into the back of an explorer which is not exactly the ideal setup for heavy stuff not to mention it gets pretty cramped even though it is one of the new ones where the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat.

btw, I bet your setup is earth rattling with all those powerful subs in the mix!

Its works pretty well. I drive them with a pair of QSC PLX3002s. But it is pretty much standard stuff for the places we play.

Archived