15" vs. 18" Subs for club band

• Members

Always wondered why there are a ton of 18" subs out there when it takes longer for the wave to generate. Wouldn't a 15" sub work better in typical club environment.

Let's frame the discussion around the following parameters:

Elevated stage with dance floor in front maybe 4-5 people deep and width of stage. Rest of the room is carpeted.

Room size:

1) 100-300

2) 300-500

3) Outdoor stage for bar

• Members

No expert, but it doesn't seem like the wavelength would be affected...only lower notes would have this, and the ability to generate these would simply allow lower notes to be heard, so the 18 would do this...but, I don't think the size of the room would be a player on hearing them or not.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

I have 2 15 inch eminence drivers installed in the floor of my living room, baffled in the basement, with two passive 10 drivers in the floor under the corner of our sectional sofa. This combination wil shake the ground out at the road 80 feet away (probably not, but it seems like it..like those kids in their cars) on the movie "the 6th day". There are subsonic elements in the movie soundtrack that will positively wake you up from your sleep. I'd say either 15 or 18 will at least reproduce what's in music...how loud, and how effortlessly given a fixed power available may vary....along with a miriad of other parameters.

God bless!

-Ron

Archived