QSC RMX 1850HD / SP118

• Members

I finally purchased a new amp to power our pair of Peavey SP118's (newer model). I'll be bridging a QSC RMX 1850HD for 900W per sub. I'll be using it for the first time this Saturday, and I have a few questions before setting it up:

1. low cut - I can't find what Peavey recommends cutting the SP118's at. Should I use the 30Hz or 50Hz filter?

2. clip limiter - The manual states "When driving subwoofers, some users let the amplifier clip without limiting because it gives extra 'punch' to kick drums and similar sounds"... Sounds dangerous to me - for my application, is it a better idea to leave the limiter on?

3. regarding clipping - with this setup, is it ok to see a brief flash on kick drum hits, or do I need to back off if I start seeing this?

• Members

30Hz is probably best, limiter on, brief flashing is fine.

I don't like to run w/out the limiter because hard clipping at low frequencies bridged stresses the output devices due to longer time in clip per cycle. Just not a good idea, tough it doesn't mean it's 'definately" a bad thing (for subs only). That said, lapses in judgement means that you can send more power than that to upir subs if you decide to push things a bit and now your 900 watts per box can increase to as much as 1800 watts per box and that's way too much for the driver IMO.

• Members

1. low cut - I can't find what Peavey recommends cutting the SP118's at. Should I use the 30Hz or 50Hz filter?

QUOTE]

I guess you just missed it ... it's right in the dead center of the first page of the owner's manual:eek:

HPF - 35 - 40 Hz at 12 to 24dB/octave

• Members

You are kind of stuck with the limitations any piece of equipment offers. Actually, it's ironic, because I calculated about 38Hz for the result, but that's not an option for you. It's also good to know that Don's number and mine corrolate exactly in this case!

• Members

30Hz cut should be close enough then, correct?

30Hz will give you more lows and 50 Hz more protection if you are driving them really hard. It's always a trade-off. What are you sending through the system? 30 Hz is pretty much unnecessary in my book for live music but may be needed in a DJ system.

• Members

30Hz will give you more lows and 50 Hz more protection if you are driving them really hard. It's always a trade-off. What are you sending through the system? 30 Hz is pretty much unnecessary in my book for live music but may be needed in a DJ system.

It's for live music. The kick drum is the majority of what will comes through our subs. Guitars/Vox have a high pass at 75Hz from the mixer and the bass is only added significantly for outdoor shows. We also use an overhead condensor on the drums.

I have an adjustable low cut on my B'ger FBQ6200 EQ - but I figured the low-cut on the amp would work better than trying to dial it in with any sort of accuracy. I was going to start using it that for strictly monitors anyway.

Archived