Peavey PV-118 Subwoofer?

• Members

Hm, if that Carvin should be OK, what about
That would get me a powered sub and allow me to keep using my current mains/monitors setup.

I considered recommending that one based on your price point, but it's got a Carvin amp on it. While I'd probably give it a go, some folks seem to hate Carvin. I have no idea how reliable their products actually are, so I cannot comment on how good a sub that is.

• Members

I've had mixed experiences with Carvin products. When I was in high school my guitarist had a Carvin tube amp. It sounded great but he didn't have much luck with reliability - he had to send it back for repairs within a few months. On the other hand, I own an eight-channel C844 mixer and love it. It sounds very good (for bar gigs, I mean) and hasn't given me a single problem in many years of dragging it around to smokey bars. In fact I'm thinking of upgrading my mixer, too, and I'm really leaning toward just buying a 16-channel model of the same mixer because I'm that happy with the sound and performance of the one I own.

I also have an old Peavey 2x15 cabinet that has Carvin drivers in it, and it sounds great and has been plugging away without a hitch for more than ten years. :)

So I guess it just depends.

• Members

I don't think Carvin has ever made their own speakers, they used EV for a while and all of the speakers the sell now that are badged as Carvin are Eminence.

Like I said, I have no idea how much basis there is for the Carvin reputation of reliability. God for the powered one if you like Carvin.

I'd buy a small fan just to be safe. ;)

• Members

I'd consider this sub if you are looking for something active and cheap.

http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17677

Hm, I've never used Samson products.

I'm starting to think that I've basically wandered into an area where as long as I avoid buying something that's complete crap, I'm probably looking at six of one, half a dozen of the other, huh? In other words, plenty of stuff out there that's going to work just fine for my purposes, no consensus #1 top pick, and it's basically just going to be personal preference. :)

• Members

We have the older 500 watt version of that Samson (2 of them ) and I can say that if you want inexpensive, light subs, they are great! They won't split anybody'd spleen open, but we have a very full and controlled mix throughout the bar.

• CMS Author

It's a matter of perception. I'm seeing it less and less now that I understand the real cost of good sound, but you hear it often because it's true. For bands starting out or guys who don't want to gamble 3 months' salary on a band that will probably never break even, it's a hard pill to swallow.

Most bar bands are running {censored} PAs and if someone takes the time to wisely choose their components, it doesn't take much money to get above that standard.

It's probably best to encourage people to spend as much as they possibly can because they will be less likely to be disappointed and buy again, but it doesn't always come off that way.

There is definitely a minimum ante for this game. Most of us try to explain that you really can do whatever the f you want, but if you have a certain expectation of quality, you need to spend a certain amount of money. It gets pretty tiring to be asked, "what do I need to do X?", to answer it to the best of one's ability, only to then get, "but really, can't I do it for $50??", to then reply with further explanation, to then be told, "you guys are all gear snobs".:rolleyes:

• Members

I'm starting to think that I've basically wandered into an area where as long as I avoid buying something that's complete crap, I'm probably looking at six of one, half a dozen of the other, huh? In other words, plenty of stuff out there that's going to work just fine for my purposes, no consensus #1 top pick, and it's basically just going to be personal preference.
:)

Yep, you're smart enough to know what to avoid and you're expectations are reasonable.

My subs cost me just over $200 each, but I built them.

One of my subs with 500 watts behind it will carry most bar type rooms.

Based on my assumptions about the Carvin box, it is pretty similar to one of my subs.

• Members

There is definitely a minimum ante for this game. Most of us try to explain that you really can do whatever the f you want, but if you have a certain expectation of quality, you need to spend a certain amount of money. It gets pretty tiring to be asked, "what do I need to do X?", to answer it to the best of one's ability, only to then get, "but really, can't I do it for $50??", to then reply with further explanation, to then be told, "you guys are all gear snobs".
:rolleyes:

Oh, I completely understand your point of view and why you old farts feel the way you do about cheap young bastards. ;) People see bands in bars using crap gear all the time and they don't have the same frame of reference for different levels of gear that you guys do. I'm starting to understand the difference between entry level and mid level, but my skills on the console aren't even close to good enough to realize the difference between mid level and pro level.

It is frustrating that guys constantly ask the same questions and now that the search function is tits up again, it's going to get worse for a while.

Perhaps the forum elders should design cookie cutter systems at the most commonly asked price points and put it in one of the stickies.

• CMS Author

Oh, I completely understand your point of view and why you old farts feel the way you do about cheap young bastards.
;)
People see bands in bars using crap gear all the time and they don't have the same frame of reference for different levels of gear that you guys do. I'm starting to understand the difference between entry level and mid level, but my skills on the console aren't even close to good enough to realize the difference between mid level and pro level.

It is frustrating that guys constantly ask the same questions and now that the search function is tits up again, it's going to get worse for a while.

Perhaps the forum elders should design cookie cutter systems at the most commonly asked price points and put it in one of the stickies.

What, and eliminate all the bickering?? NEVER!!!!

• Members

What, and eliminate all the bickering?? NEVER!!!!

:D

Seriously, thanks for all the help, guys. I ordered the Carvin powered sub, and I also picked up a lightly-used Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro (not the be-all end-all of mixers, I know, but more than enough for my purposes) for a good price. :thu: At this point I feel like I should have a pretty decent setup for small gigs.

Carvin LS1801A 700W powered sub

Two local-brand 3-way 15" mains w/ Eminence drivers (used 'em for years - they're solid lower-mid-level gear, perfect for lugging around to bars)

Two local-brand 2-way 15" monitors (moderately crappy, but usable - this will be the next thing I upgrade)

Crown XLS 602 power amp for the mains

QSC RMX 850 power amp for the monitors

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro 16-channel mixer

Two Shure Beta 87a vocal mics

Four Shure SM-57 mics (guitars, snare, backup vocal mic if needed)

Shure Beta 52a kick mic

Choice of drum overheads - matched pairs of AKG C430 or Rode NT5 small-diaphragm condensors, or one AKG C414

Three Sennheiser e604 tom mics if for some strange reason I need tom mics

SansAmp BassDriver DI for bass, or if I want a tube sound, a Groove Tubes "The Brick" tube mic pre/DI

I feel like I've built a pretty fair rig over the years. :) Not something I'd rent out, but for my personal use it's solid.

• Members

My subs cost me just over $200 each, but I built them.

Did you ever post a pic of those? You usually post pictures of your speaker building projects but I don't remember if you did one for your subs or not. Did you end up using the Dayton driver or the Eminence-branded one?

• Members

I've heard the PV118's and was unimpressed, pretty much had about the same oomf as the 15's in the top boxes run full-range.

As far as the "you need at least 10kW to have sound" sort of deal, I've done plenty shows with my pair of PV215's and single Yorkie LS700p sub, and every time I've been complimented on the sound. It's not LOUD by any stretch of the imagination, but I can get a nice even and pleasant mix in small bars, and I play and do sound for loud rock bands. I definitely want to upgrade my PA since I've been asked to do a lot of shows that my system just won't be able to do, so I'm gonna be spending the money on a powerful system soon enough.

• Members

Did you ever post a pic of those? You usually post pictures of your speaker building projects but I don't remember if you did one for your subs or not. Did you end up using the Dayton driver or the Eminence-branded one?

Yeah. I used the Daytons and am very pleased.

bigrigyp9.th.jpg

• Members

Awesome, thanks for the pic. I bet you're glad you built them strong enough to survive being dropped by your bandmates.

:D

No jive, all dadoes and glue on those beasts.

I've received several compliments on how good they sound.

• Members

I thought about building my own, but I just don't have a ton of time to put into a project like that right now. Plus, while I'm moderately handy, I think it would take me a time or two to really get the process down, so I figured for now I'd be better off just buying what I needed. :)

Archived