Is a 90 Watt P.A. Loud Enough For Pubs / Small Venues?

• Members

Hi again

I think the speakers are Peavey 150 Watts with stands, so im guessing they should be fine with regards to upgrading in the future etc?

I'm not sure the model of the P.A though, but my guess is it's going to suck so I will try to persuade my band not to buy it!

I figure I play at about 50watts as I have a Marshall JCM 900 valve amp which is rated at 50W but I put in a 102db speaker (as opposed to the 97db speaker which was previously used) so now it is much louder, i play at about half to 3 quarters volume so im guessing thats about 50 watts.

The band is me (guitarist), second guitarist, singer, bassist and drummer

anyway i dont think the 90 watts will do at all so i will try to persuade the band not to buy it, but may just buy the speakers as they sound quite good dont they?

thanks everyone

You're running a 900 at half to 3/4 volume and you ask if a 90 watt PA is loud enough? You need to get your stage volume in check. What about monitors? Can you singer hear himself at all over all the guitar and drums?

• Members

It's a bit different for vox, if you want them clean and clear.

As to 90 watts and a single 10 not being able to keep up with a drummer, I run 18 watts through a single 12" with my guitar and can run drummers out of the room with their ears bleeding. (figuratively). You're right that it wouldn't cut it for a live vocal performance, but in a small room for practice 90 watts into a single 10" could get you by.

If you're willing to settle for distorted ox audible to only one person, you are correct - 90 watts is sufficient. But most singers want something better. They usually up their power requirements - now up yours! ;)

• Members

It's a bit different for vox, if you want them clean and clear.

If you're willing to settle for distorted ox audible to only one person, you are correct - 90 watts is sufficient. But most singers want something better. They usually up their power requirements - now up yours!
;)

Errr..... I never said 90 watts was sufficient, quite the opposite. I don't understand your addressing this to me. :confused:

• Members

You're running a 900 at half to 3/4 volume and you ask if a 90 watt PA is loud enough? You need to get your stage volume in check. What about monitors? Can you singer hear himself at all over all the guitar and drums?

A JCM 900 at 3/4 volume is probably putting out a lot more than a 50watt solid state amp would be capable of putting out at full volume. Valves, due to their design, will put out a lot more volume without hard clipping than a solid state amp can. In fact the 'Sound' that most guitarists want from valve amps is created by driving the valves beyond the limits that they were originally designed for - putting out more wattage than the specified rating.

Most of the bands I've been in have run 50 to 60watt valve amps at comparitively low volumes (2-3 on the volume control - not that that means anything). The PA's needed to compete with that level are between 300 and 500 watts per side.

• Members

Size of the speaker is a very small part of the sensitivity factor. Consider the size of say a 2450 compression driver, it has a 3 or 4 INCH diameter and it's sensitivity is over 110dB/1W/1M, that's cloase to 10 times as efficient as a typical entry level 15' driver.

• Members

OK, so I'm wrong, then. I have the impression that over on the bass forum it seems to be accepted that a bigger speaker will be louder. But then we're just bassists so what do we know :idk::D

I also thought that this was backed up by my own personal experience- as we have upgraded/changed my band's gear we have been able to get a lot mroe volume out of the same amps by adding extra speakers and/or getting larger ones. I know it wasn't a perfect test because the impedance of the system has been changed, and I haven't a clue about the sensitivity of the various speakers we have, but the practise fitted my (wrong) theory.

:wave:

Archived