Is a 90 Watt P.A. Loud Enough For Pubs / Small Venues?

• Members

Hi All,

I have found a P.A to buy for my band, as we will be playing in pubs and small venues

Thing is, it is only 90 Watts

The only thing we would put through the P.A is our singer

Our drummer does play quite loud, he hits the drums hard

I use a Marshall valve amp often turning it up to about 50 watts

So guys do you think a 90 watt P.A would be ok for us, or should we go for something bigger?

Best Regards

Monto :eek:

• Members

Whats your budget? What type of music? What instruments? People here are usually good at suggesting workable alternatives given enough information.

I disagree with coyote. If the PA is used ONLY for vocals that can work. Before finding this forum I used a 100W PA for just vocals and it got over the drums fine. However, running guitar / bass / keys, etc... is not going to work. Further, most 100W PAs sound like crap. But as long as you don't mind the sound, it can get loud enough at 90W to get over the drums.

Second point, it is going to be nearly impossible for you to upgrade something like that. If you ever move on to bigger venues or the band grows, you'll need to start over and buy new gear and this money would be wasted. Might be better to just lay out the cash if you expect to grow.

What system are you looking at? Keep in mind that with many pre-packaged systems if one component breaks you are screwed - keep that in mind before going with the PRS One or the Pod.

EDIT: How do you know what watts you "turn your amp up to" ? Is that a guesstimate?

• Members

Hi again

I think the speakers are Peavey 150 Watts with stands, so im guessing they should be fine with regards to upgrading in the future etc?

I'm not sure the model of the P.A though, but my guess is it's going to suck so I will try to persuade my band not to buy it!

I figure I play at about 50watts as I have a Marshall JCM 900 valve amp which is rated at 50W but I put in a 102db speaker (as opposed to the 97db speaker which was previously used) so now it is much louder, i play at about half to 3 quarters volume so im guessing thats about 50 watts.

The band is me (guitarist), second guitarist, singer, bassist and drummer

anyway i dont think the 90 watts will do at all so i will try to persuade the band not to buy it, but may just buy the speakers as they sound quite good dont they?

thanks everyone

• Members

Could you post up the model number of the speakers?

Well, I think you need to read the "Guide for Goobers" at the top of the forum. Watts is not the same thing as volume. Watts is a term for the amount of energy your amplifier is putting into your speakers. Upgrading the efficiency of your speakers is a good thing, but does not get you more "watts" unless the resistance of those speakers to the amplifier has changed.

How much do y'all have to spend? Have you considered what to do about monitors?

• Members

Watts are only part of story- the diameter/number of speakers has a bigger impact. So 90w through, say a single 10" driver would never, ever, ever, compete with a drummer. But put it through four 15" drivers and you'll get a fair amount of volume, assuming you don't run the impedance too low.

Secondly, you can 'get away with' less watts by not having much headroom in the system- you will be loud enough, but will sound (to quote users of the bass forum) 'like ass'.

A good upgrade path is to buy a system that can later do duty as your monitors when you have the money to buy a more powerful front of house system. So look for trapeziodal speakers that can be used as stage monitors. For the average band in a smaller venue you won't need more than about 200w for your monitors.. YMMV

Finally, if saving money is a concern, it's usually better to go 2nd hand and buy a well known make (e.g. Peavey). If the band doesn't work out, you can sell on this stuff for about the same as you paid for it, whereas buying new will always cost you a lot more.

• Members

Watts are only part of story- the diameter/number of speakers has a bigger impact. So 90w through, say a single 10" driver would never, ever, ever, compete with a drummer. But put it through four 15" drivers and you'll get a fair amount of volume, assuming you don't run the impedance too low.

:rolleyes:

• Members

How many in the band will be singing? If there's only one person singing, you might consider buying a couple of decent powered speakers and plug the mic directly into them. Later you can use the powered speakers for your mains or monitors.

• Members

i used to use a small lower powered peavey amp for vocals and it was not even close to competing with our drummer or the guitarists which were playing thru a fender HRD at 40 tube watts and a line 6 at 75 solid state watts. The bass was running 300 watts thru a single 15 and pair of 10s.

We upgraded to a yamaha EMX512 powered pa which is 500 watts x 2 channels and it gives us the power we needed. I can't imagine a 100 watt pa working in your scenario. I'd say plan on at least 500 watts for the pa and if you can afford more, I'd do it. We were going to get the smaller 600 watt total yamaha powered pa but I decided to invest in the more powerful one and am very very glad I did.

• Members

I've seen myself using most of the power available in my live band setup trying to get vocals louder than the backline using 2 efficient speakers powered with 300 watts each.... (loud band in a small club) so I don't think a 90 watt PA will cut it for vocals for a rock band... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

It should be noted that four high efficiency 10'' speakers could outperform four cheap 15'' speakers. Speaker efficiency, quality and total impedance can help to maximize the amplifier's available power. However, it can not magically create more power than actually exists. If it could, then no one would need more than a 90 watt PA. :) Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Secondly, you can 'get away with' less watts by not having much headroom in the system- you will be loud enough, but will sound (to quote users of the bass forum) 'like ass'.

A good upgrade path is to buy a system that can later do duty as your monitors when you have the money to buy a more powerful front of house system. So look for trapeziodal speakers that can be used as stage monitors. For the average band in a smaller venue you won't need more than about 200w for your monitors.. YMMV

Finally, if saving money is a concern, it's usually better to go 2nd hand and buy a well known make (e.g. Peavey). If the band doesn't work out, you can sell on this stuff for about the same as you paid for it, whereas buying new will always cost you a lot more.

Please stop.

• Members

Please stop.

OK I don't want to start any kind of an argument here but I'm getting the impression that my earlier post is, erm, mistaken? If it's the comment about more drivers = more sound, then that is just my personal experience, and I believe it to be true. However if I'm talking rubbish then please enlighten me.

:wave:

• Members

OK I don't want to start any kind of an argument here but I'm getting the impression that my earlier post is, erm, mistaken? If it's the comment about more drivers = more sound, then that is just my personal experience, and I believe it to be true. However if I'm talking rubbish then please enlighten me.

:wave:

The guy's asking about a PA for vocals. 4 x 15 isn't a configuration that's going to reproduce vocal frequencies very well. It's also entirely possible that a single 10" could put out as much volume as 4 x 15s with a given amount of power. Power comes from the amplifier, not speakers which don't add any energy into a system. A single 10" could be more efficient than a 4 x 15 cabinet, particularly at higher frequencies and could easily be louder.

As to 90 watts and a single 10 not being able to keep up with a drummer, I run 18 watts through a single 12" with my guitar and can run drummers out of the room with their ears bleeding. (figuratively). You're right that it wouldn't cut it for a live vocal performance, but in a small room for practice 90 watts into a single 10" could get you by.

Archived