Mackie DFX12 vs. Peavey PV10

• Members

I have pretty much decided to dump the Alesis 12FX once I get it back from the THIRD warranty repair. Looking at features vs. my wallet vs. my requirements, I think I have settled on one of these 2 mixers. I'm sure either one would be great but I'm semi-leaning towards the Mackie. My one concern is the Mackie only has 2 band EQ (bass & treble) per channel vs. the Peavey 3 band EQ. OTOH - the mackie has a 5 band graphic EQ on the master. Do you folks think the lack of a mid control on the Mackie would be a negative?

Thanks,

Kirk

• Members

Peavey. I'd rather have better channel strip EQ without the master 5-band graphic (which really isn't that useful in my opinion). If you want global eq after the mixer, get a 31-band outboard unit. This board's moderator has had a positive experience with Peavey's service department, so in the chance you would need that, take it into account. I don't know about Mackie though.

• Members

I own a PV10 and really love it except maybe for the 3 band channel EQ. More precisely, the mid frequency control which is actually more of mid bass control. (around 100-150 hz IIRC) Some people seem to like it though... Other than that, I would highly recommend it. The warranty in itself (up to 5 years if you register) is worth a lot. Great, quiet little mixer. :thu: Al

• Members

Dang it Al, now you went and broke my perfect record. This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the mid-frequency. I even had a reviewer compliment it. Back to the drawing board. ;)

You can't please everyone, that's for sure. Anyway, it's centered at 450Hz. We figured most people would do more good removing muddy mid-bass, than mis-using the 2.5kHz mid control. Actually, ours has always been a little lower anyway, about 850Hz. We just decided to try something different.

SoundMan

• Members

Dang it Al, now you went and broke my perfect record. This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the mid-frequency. I even had a reviewer compliment it. Back to the drawing board.
;)

You can't please everyone, that's for sure. Anyway, it's centered at 450Hz. We figured most people would do more good removing muddy mid-bass, than mis-using the 2.5kHz mid control. Actually, ours has always been a little lower anyway, about 850Hz. We just decided to try something different.

SoundMan

Sorry Soundman. :cry: This is really my only tiny little complaint with this mixer. The first time I used it, this was quickly the first thing I noticed. I am not a frequency expert (hence my poor 150hz guess), but this really did not sound like a midrange adjustement like I have been used to from the dozens or so different mixers I have used through the years. If most people like it, great. Somtimes it's good to try something different. In my small studio however, trying to get the vocals to sound better, this mid bass boost really didn't help any...(I didn't have another EQ) - why do so many mics have so much low frequency? The 12DB cut on the low channel wasn't enough. It's a little bit my fault because I sing pretty close to the mic but..anyway... If it's any consolation, I really like the Contour switch. At lower volumes, it really helps most PA speakers (even powered) sound sweeter at just the right frequencies. :thu: I've actually used this switch to add some low and top end sparkle to certain recordings I use frequently when DJing that I thought needed improvement. It did wonders on Hurts so good - fatter kick, more impact and the open high hat and guitar come out nicer and crisper if you will. :) Used at lower levels, this little switch should make most PA speakers sound much better. Al

• Members

It's no big deal, that's the problem with 3 band fixed EQ. No matter where you put the mid control, you're going to make some people happy and some not so happy. It can't be perfect for every situation.

Glad you like my contour circuit, I played with that for awhile.

SoundMan

• Members

It's no big deal, that's the problem with 3 band fixed EQ. No matter where you put the mid control, you're going to make some people happy and some not so happy. It can't be perfect for every situation.

Glad you like my contour circuit, I played with that for awhile.

SoundMan

Harmony Central is great. I would have never thought I would have the chance to chat with the guy who designed my mixer. :) Like I said in more than one thread, it really is a great little mixer and I have more than once recommended it. Great work! :)

A big thanks to you and DBoomer for taking the time to visit and help us out whenever you can. I'm sure it makes an impact on the purchasing decisions of many people here on HC and makes Peavey look like they really care about what people think about their products. Thanks again. Al

• Members

Peavey really does care!

Without a doubt.

Some of the finest people that I have ever dealt with, time and again, over thirty some-odd years. I have never, ever, been disappointed with Peavey and their willingness to make everything right...even after warranty has expired.

It has been a real pleasure to speak, on a first-name basis, with so many of their staff over the years. They have come to know me and have been able to offer many kinds of help-both technical and material-to always keep me going.

I cannot say enough kind things about Hartley's company and the magnificent people who work for him.

Kim

Archived