drive rack and 231 eq?

• Members

I would set the DriveRack first and the EQ second. I assume you are adding the 231 eq for ease of use on the fly?

The DSP based speaker processors aren't all that easy to program or use, there are a lot of potential gottchas. Read the manual VERY carefully. Ignore the last page about gain structure and setting everything to clip at the same point... it's very bad advice (plain wrong IMO) and defeats one ofthe major purposes of the DriveRack... the limiting.

• Members

I just got a 2nd 231 (1st on monitors) and we're using it as a main insert on the mixer for a quick grab. I'm considering putting the drpa back in the amp rack since our soundguys are digital "illiterate", it's too hard to train them (or get them interested in learning) on the drpa, and the drpa is not "during the performance friendly" ;>(

Boomerweps

• Members

Generally, our DSP speaker management resides in the amp racks, they are all tuned (in the shop where we have access to more anechoic tools and test equipment, for the speaker box itself, and on-site room eq is handled by a simple (analog) graphic. It keeps accidents and bad judgements at a minimum IME.

• Members

I would set the DriveRack first and the EQ second.

I might advise the other way around. If you set your Driverack limiters and then boost at the EQ you have defeated the purpose of the limiters. Putting the EQ first lets the limiters work last in line as I would prefer it.

YMMV (and evidently Andy's did... ;) )

• Members

I might advise the other way around. If you set your Driverack limiters and then boost at the EQ you have defeated the purpose of the limiters. Putting the EQ first lets the limiters work last in line as I would prefer it.

YMMV (and evidently Andy's did...
;)
)

The reason I suggested this is because if any system compression is used, the compression would be quite frequency dependant and may compress on a "key" frequency if boost is used.

That said, if there's not suitable limiting in the power amps, and they are reasonably sized, then placing the eq before the DRPA might be a better choice.

And of course if you are usingthe crossovers the EQ's would go infront. Just remember that if you are using compression over the entire mix to go easy with the eq.

Archived