My first smoked speaker -need replacement tweeter?

• Members

Evidently my 3 year old had a good time with my PA. He set it up (no joke) in the family room and ended up frying the 1" phenolic in one of my 10" Yamaha monitor (CM10V's). Can I just replace the coil? When I pulled it apart, it looked all gooey inside the magnet (wth??). Can I up grade to the 2" TI tweeter that comes with the Club 12's and 15's? Or another non-yamaha tweeter all together? A place to get them? My first instinct was to click over to Mark and Liz's site but looks like they dont carry replacement tweeters.

Thanks again people. It's good to be back...

• Members

Evidently my 3 year old had a good time with my PA. He set it up (no joke) in the family room and ended up frying the 1" phenolic in one of my 10" Yamaha monitor (CM10V's). Can I just replace the coil? When I pulled it apart, it looked all gooey inside the magnet (wth??). Can I up grade to the 2" TI tweeter that comes with the Club 12's and 15's? Or another non-yamaha tweeter all together? A place to get them? My first instinct was to click over to Mark and Liz's site but looks like they dont carry replacement tweeters.

Thanks again people. It's good to be back...

I almost had the same thing happen with my 3 year old daughter. Luckily, she had engaged the limiters on the amplifier and had adjusted the gains conservatively to avoid clipping on the mixer channels. :p I was worried a little because I had never heard Barney at such high SPLs... Al

• Members

I almost had the same thing happen with my 3 year old daughter. Luckily, she had engaged the limiters on the amplifier and had adjusted the gains conservatively to avoid clipping on the mixer channels.
:p
I was worried a little because I had never heard Barney at such high SPLs... Al

Maybe we should get your 3 year old to train DJ's.:lol:

Winston

• Members

Maybe we should get your 3 year old to train DJ's.
:lol:

Winston

That was almost funny. There are DJs know next to nothing about sound. They turn up the gains and faders indiscriminately to get maximum output (as opposed to optimum). Then there are the level headed professionals who know sound reinforcement. To pigeonhole the whole lot is to stereotype.

V.

• Members

That was almost funny. There are DJs know next to nothing about sound. They turn up the gains and faders indiscriminately to get maximum output (as opposed to optimum). Then there are the level headed professionals who know sound reinforcement. To pigeonhole the whole lot is to stereotype.

V.

What's wrong with stereotypes? It's NOT a bad word. It's equating one's experience with one item/person to another similar one. Problem with "DJs" is that everyone thinks they can be one if they can buy an amplifying playback device. Just like many think they can pick up a pair of sticks and call themselves a drummer, the truth is different. They drum but they are NOT drummers. Many DJ (as a verb) but they are not pro DJs. You can tell a pro (attitude) by what effort they put into learning their tools and how they use them, in ANY field.

And like it or not, many DJ related postings are often clueless on the web ;>(

I'll admit it, I DO DJ occassionally.

Boomerweps

• Members

do really need to buy a whole new tweeter? It seems that I can just replace the coil, right?

Probably. E-mail a photo and I'll see if it's something I have here. I'm not positive, but it may cross to something more common.

The goo may be ferrofluid, that's why I question my initial thought that the driver is something specific that I have here.

Archived