So, should I scream in the mic during soundcheck>?

• Members

I mean, if it's all I'll do during the set.

Or, will that peeve some soundguy...?

Maybe I could go up before the show and say "I'm going to scream and belch into the mic for our set, and it would sound a little more good if you scooped my mids a bit."

I have a feeling that wouldn't go over so well though, unless I paid the soundguy or tipped him or something.

edit/

I sound like this, if it helps:

www.myspace.com/builtbygiants

• Members

Our singer is terrible about this, I'll be testing my in-ears and I'll hear "check, check" ... great ... then he sings and I'm sterile for a week.

That's because I want to kill you with my voice.

Or anyone, really.

• CMS Author

I mean, if it's all I'll do during the set.

Or, will that peeve some soundguy...?

Maybe I could go up before the show and say "I'm going to scream and belch into the mic for our set, and it would sound a little more good if you scooped my mids a bit."

I have a feeling that wouldn't go over so well though, unless I paid the soundguy or tipped him or something.

edit/

I sound like this, if it helps:

www.myspace.com/builtbygiants

If you're gonna scream in the performance, scream in the soundcheck.

Why is this even a question?

• Members

Fair warning during load in, and then screaming during sound check is preferable. I do sound for guys that scream in the show to get the right sound, not just because they want to be that loud, and compression on their vocal channel keeps the vocals from blowing peoples ears, and they still get the sound they want.

• Members

If you're gonna scream in the performance, scream in the soundcheck.

Why is this even a question?

I don't do sound, so I'm not all caught up on what adjusting a signal level during a song entails.

Also, watching other bands with loud vocalists do soundceck I've seen all sorts of different ways folks get it done and sound good/bad/whatever.

• CMS Author

I don't do sound, so I'm not all caught up on what adjusting a signal level during a song entails.

Also, watching other bands with loud vocalists do soundceck I've seen all sorts of different ways folks get it done and sound good/bad/whatever.

Your initial post looked a lot like you were trolling. Considering you're a fellow bass brother, that made me grumpy.

Basically, the sound guy is setting the mic channel's gain. You want maximum gain without clipping, so as the performer you need to give him a signal that's as loud as you anticipate you'll be during the performance.

I don't worry or care about anyone screaming into a mic without warning before the show....I don't bring the mains levels up until the show starts. Monitors are on at max gain from the start, so performers know what to expect and can get accustomed to what they'll hear during soundcheck.

• Members

Our singer is terrible about this, I'll be testing my in-ears and I'll hear "check, check" ... great ... then he sings and I'm sterile for a week.

LMAO! ! ! !

That is a pet peave of mine. I'll do a line check, and get the trims right, and BAM, when the soundcheck starts, everything is banging into the red.

I normally line check the vocal mics myself with a healthy "hey hey". But it's tough with the instruments. Especially bone head guitar players that turn up right before the gig starts. They don't tell me in the soundcheck that they can't hear themselves.

I always ask, "Give me your loudest signal". It almost never is.

• CMS Author

LMAO! ! ! !

That is a pet peave of mine. I'll do a line check, and get the trims right, and BAM, when the soundcheck starts, everything is banging into the red.

I normally line check the vocal mics myself with a healthy "hey hey". But it's tough with the instruments. Especially bone head guitar players that turn up right before the gig starts. They don't tell me in the soundcheck that they can't hear themselves.

I always ask, "Give me your loudest signal". It almost never is.

Experience and luck teach you to adjust for this during soundcheck. I can usually guess who's holding back, and I'll simply keep their gain a little lower. It's also normal for any band to get louder as they warm up, and to get louder sometime during the second set when hearing fatigue starts to set in. This, BTW doesn't happen with bands that use IEM's.

• Members

Would you tell your doctor your head hurts when your foot is actually hurting?

Would you tell your mechanic your water pump is leaking when your tire is flat?

Would you tell your wife your in to S and M when you're not...Ok well maybe on this one..

So why would you tell and demonstrate your sound guy you sing like shirly temple when you sing like SATAN? Point is, you must absolutely give the sound guy what you are going to do at the performance. Why are you holding back?

The band should do sound check LIKE THEY MEAN IT. Discuss what you do with the sound guy before sound check. Play a tune, make adjustments on stage, amp volume and placement, monitor mix and placement, EIM mix, etc. Play another song. Make any additional adjustments.

DO NOT NOW CHANGE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS BEFORE YOUR FIRST SET.

Then people will say ...Wow, you guys sounded great from the first song....

cheers!

• Members

I used to love it when my keyboard player would be talking into his mic with a low-smooth jazz-radio-guy voice and then bark out what he needed in his monitors EQ (mostly more lows), then during the gig he sings mostly high harmonies and falsetto...... I always knew to keep his gain down a little and his monitor level high, so at least he thought he sounded good...... then I'd bring him way back in the house (he was frequently off pitch, but as long as he heard his monitor, he was fine...)

Yeah, do what you do onstage for soundcheck, it makes it easier for everyone.

• Members

Your initial post looked a lot like you were trolling. Considering you're a fellow bass brother, that made me grumpy.

Admit it "cheesesteak boy" you wake up grumpy. :mad::;

Also, trolling the live sound forum is all about "what are some good bargains on a 800 dollar pa?"

It's a tradition.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Would you tell your doctor your head hurts when your foot is actually hurting?

Would you tell your mechanic your water pump is leaking when your tire is flat?

Would you tell your wife your in to S and M when you're not...Ok well maybe on this one..

So why would you tell and demonstrate your sound guy you sing like shirly temple when you sing like SATAN? Point is, you must absolutely give the sound guy what you are going to do at the performance. Why are you holding back?

The band should do sound check LIKE THEY MEAN IT. Discuss what you do with the sound guy before sound check. Play a tune, make adjustments on stage, amp volume and placement, monitor mix and placement, EIM mix, etc. Play another song. Make any additional adjustments.

DO NOT NOW CHANGE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS BEFORE YOUR FIRST SET.

Then people will say ...Wow, you guys sounded great from the first song....

cheers!

A-Men.....

• Members

Experience and luck teach you to adjust for this during soundcheck. I can usually guess who's holding back, and I'll simply keep their gain a little lower.

Isn't it true! Sometimes you have to be as much psychologist as engineer when doing sound (trying to out guess player's real modus operandi) :D

Archived