EV-May the Force Be with You

• Members

Just picked up a used EV Force system: 2 Force subs, 2 Force mains and the matching Force Amp. It's the precursor system to the current I Force series. The mains have a 15 inch driver and the subs each have two 15 inch speakers. The amp pushes 2 x 280 W @ 8 ohms and the sub has a passive crossover.

Two questions:

1. Any folks have experience running these

• Members

2. I know one of the subs needs a replacement driver. Each sub has two fifteen inch speakers. One of the those in one sub is blown. Do I need to replace the speaker with an exact replacement? Will it throw off the power handling if I substitute something other than the original factory issue? The blown driver is a 6 ohm unit.

Unless the voice coil is melted, you can just get the speaker reconed, I believe. It'd be cheaper.

Maybe Agedhorse has reconed a few of these speakers in his day.

• Members

Get it reconed. It's not a 6 ohm driver, nominally it's 8 ohms with a DCR of around 5.8 ohms.

The force drivers are pretty good FOR WHAT THEY ARE, they are similar to the Peavey Scorpion drivers though not quite as good IMO.

They are good for about 150 watts RMS per driver and should be powered with ~300-500 watts RMS (use the amp's 4 ohm rating) maximum. Also high pass the signal around 40-50Hz. They are not very substantial sub boxes.

• Members

Now, I feel like I'm mediocre. Sounds like these subs are so mediocre at reproducing bass that I shouldn't bother fixing the bad 15 inch speaker and cut my losses.

We're not a hard-core metal band. We play acoustiic sets with a bass. I don't throw the bass into the mains, but I thought having the sub box out front would allow me to do that. Even though this isn't the monster of subs, I thought that it would help our FOH.

So, did I waste $125 for the two sub boxes ( plus whatever it would cost to recone the bad speaker) ?

• Members

What size venue are you mostly playing? How many people are there listening to your band?

If you were to replace the 15, you would probably have a nice cheap set of subs for your application. Just know their limitations and if they aren't loud enough, you need more speaker boxes.

• Members
Now, I feel like I'm mediocre. Sounds like these subs are so mediocre at reproducing bass that I shouldn't bother fixing the bad 15 inch speaker and cut my losses.

We're not a hard-core metal band. We play acoustiic sets with a bass. I don't throw the bass into the mains, but I thought having the sub box out front would allow me to do that. Even though this isn't the monster of subs, I thought that it would help our FOH.

So, did I waste $125 for the two sub boxes ( plus whatever it would cost to recone the bad speaker) ?

Heck no. If you can get the one driver reconed for under $100 (it certainly should be) you'll have an ok pair of little subs that are physically small and probably do pretty much what you need them to do, with very little investment.

Archived