Crest Pro 9200 Amplifiers

• Members

If I get them, they will be powering 4x (per side) EV QRX 212-75s and 2x (per side) Frazier (dual 15") EV EVX loaded subs. The Processing will be the dbx Driverack PA. I'll be matching up the amps correctly with the speakers, so I can't really see what the problem(s) will be. I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass if thats the way it's coming out.

• Members

If I get them, they will be powering 4x (per side) EV QRX 212-75s and 2x (per side) Frazier (dual 15") EV EVX loaded subs. The Processing will be the dbx Driverack PA. I'll be matching up the amps correctly with the speakers, so I can't really see what the problem(s) will be. I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass if thats the way it's coming out.

we use the PRo9200 on our subs and we also own the Pro9001, and they are pretty damn close in output, yet 1/4 the weight which is worth the slight loss of power imo

as far as light weight amps go, im a big fan of the Pro200 series

• Members

You might not see a problem but I sure do. (Not trying to sound like a smart-ass of course ;) )

The QRX212 is a 4 ohm LF section, and 4 per side on an amp will drop the load the amp sees down to around 1 ohm per channel and thus causing significant difficulties for the amp... assuming it survives the first set.

Also, that's a lot of power for the EVX-15 driver in a sub application. It's a great driver but you REALLY want to limit the power to no more than 600-800 watts per driver and be absolutely sure you have appropriate HPF settings on your processing as the drivers are prone to mechanical damage. I have reconed many and they are not cheap parts.

• Members

I would only be putting 2x per side on an amp (4x amps needed total for the 212s). The EVX-15s are rated at 1200watts program each. So each subwoofer would be 2400watts @ 4 ohms. I've always matched up power to program wattage and NEVER had a problem at all. By the way, I'm totally ok with getting the smaller models of the Pro 200 series, like the 8200 if that would work better.

• Members

I would only be putting 2x per side on an amp (4x amps needed total for the 212s). The EVX-15s are rated at 1200watts program each. So each subwoofer would be 2400watts @ 4 ohms. I've always matched up power to program wattage and NEVER had a problem at all. By the way, I'm totally ok with getting the smaller models of the Pro 200 series, like the 8200 if that would work better.

I mis-understood your terminology and read that as 4x cabinets!

As long as you are aware of the limitations, use the correct HPF (probably around 35-40Hz 4th order BW filters for those drivers) and use limiters with appropriate time constants, you are ok. The problem is that often, in lieu of enough PA the temptation is to thgrow more power at it and that's when the problems happen. The biggest limitation is mechanical and that's due to fatigue of the suspension components from exceeding Xmax and approaching Xmech. It's a cumulative effect. Also, striving for the last couple of dB is the point of diminshing returns as power compression becomes the dominating factor... you put more power in and you don't get any more significant level increase out but your risk factor goes up exponentially.

I think perhaps the 8200 might be a better choice unless you already have 9200's available. They are all big, solid amps.

• Members

I mis-understood your terminology and read that as 4x cabinets!

As long as you are aware of the limitations, use the correct HPF (probably around 35-40Hz 4th order BW filters for those drivers) and use limiters with appropriate time constants, you are ok. The problem is that often, in lieu of enough PA the temptation is to thgrow more power at it and that's when the problems happen. The biggest limitation is mechanical and that's due to fatigue of the suspension components from exceeding Xmax and approaching Xmech. It's a cumulative effect. Also, striving for the last couple of dB is the point of diminshing returns as power compression becomes the dominating factor... you put more power in and you don't get any more significant level increase out but your risk factor goes up exponentially.

I think perhaps the 8200 might be a better choice unless you already have 9200's available. They are all big, solid amps.

IMo the 8200 is too small for application, im currently using the 8200 for 15" on my xarray wedges and its barely enough when i double them up on a channel.... i wouldnt dare try to do subs or dual driver boxes in multiples

• Members

I can't see how, there's maybe 2dB difference and by the time power compression is factored in, it's even less than that.

well thems the facts, ive been there and done that, had the 8200 on a pair of 15" (2 qrx153 per side) and also on a pair of SRX212 and it did not cut the mustard, replaced it with a ca12, worlds apart.... something to be said about the power supply there. but thats not the debate.

not sure if you are using the specs/experience for a puppet show, or a corporate meeting but to me specs are good for one thing,,,, getting an idea of what a product SHOULD do, not what it will do. I gauge products on my experience and thats what i share, so anyone can toss specs and debate the topic, but if im making a comment its coming from someone who actually has done it.... not someone who is just comparing specs. the 8200 is a good amp, but its not a 9200, the 9200 will in fact do 4 QRX212 without hiccup, as long as its has a 30a circuit to draw from, and i also recommend speaker management no matter what amp you are using.

• Members

They are big, solid amps that deliver the goods in a professional way. Lightweight too. They aren't cheap, so that eliminates them from the running for a lot of folks.

Well actually........I was looking for more of a hands on experience review, or something similar to what Dan posted.

• Members

It's pretty hard to review a power amp cuz when they work they just work.

I've used lots of them. I used something like 40 or 50 of them in last year's Ozzfest with no failures or problems and for a couple of years out with the Peavey show rig.

They are big, professional amps that work like other big tour class amps from other manufacturers.

You will need a pro AC distro to get proper results with them.

• Members

I've used lots of them. I used something like 40 or 50 of them in last year's Ozzfest with no failures or problems and for a couple of years out with the Peavey show rig.

They are big, professional amps that work like other big tour class amps from other manufacturers.

That's pretty much my take as well.

• Members

That's pretty much my take as well.

Well......let me try again. You stated that Dans experience differs from yours in regard to using the amps. I was hoping to find out how, where, what you've used them on. That sort of review.

Thanks

• Members

I was just hoping to find out what his experience was w/ them that differed from what Dan had stated. It appeared they both had hands on experience w/ them, but differant experiences from what I was reading in the thread.

• Members

please dont get me wrong ...as far as 25lb amps go they are the {censored}, and the 9200 is my fav. but with all due respect (and i do respect ol horse alot) imo andys comment about using the 8200 on 4 qrx212, will NOT work, and it is clear he has never tried it.... with any real volume anyway.

In my experience with light weight amps, you really need to be at about 1.5x the desired wattage to get the results you are looking for, with that said the 9200 seems to be the exception, it does as just about as much as the 9001 with out a clip light.

speaking of lights ...the pro200 have a built in feature...a blue light show.... its amazing how bright those things are.

and a final note, putting the 9200 on a single pair of 4ohm subs is a little excessive, but as long as you are carefull you will be good, and you have room for 2 more subs on the amp!

• Members

speaking of lights ...the pro200 have a built in feature...a blue light show.... its amazing how bright those things are.

It's a tanning booth and a power amplifier;)

and a final note, putting the 9200 on a single pair of 4ohm subs is a little excessive, but as long as you are carefull you will be good, and you have room for 2 more subs on the amp!

For Ozzfest we ran single 9200's bridged into a single Vray dual 18 sub ... 6500W per box with no problems

Archived