Question on going into business

• Members

I have amassed a PA system from various items from Criagslist. I've been in a lot of "right place at the right time" kinda deals (just scored a PAIR of Yamaha SW118Vs for $250). I was thinking about trying out the DJ-ing thing. I might have a chance to try out my lack of skills, but have no clue what I am doing. Here's the scoop; my sister-in-law is getting married and I could possibly run the sound and save her some cash (wedding gift from me). Here's what I have available:

This is mainly intended for a band PA by the way (although we have been on hiatus before I got alot of this).

4 - Yahama S115Vs powered by 1 QSC RMX2450

1 - Yamaha SW218V powered by 1 QSC RMX1450 (bridged)

2 - Yamaha SW118Vs powered by 1 QSC RMX1450 (bridged)

I have the following in an 18 space rack:

Furman Power conditioner

Alesis 3630

Lexicon MX200

TC Electronics M300

dbx 231

dbx 166xl

BBE 882i

dbx 234xl

(all the amps)

Finally, I have a 10 space rack with:

Furman Power Conditioner

Sony Cassette Deck

Karaoke DVD CDG Player

Stanton CD Player

For a mixer I have a 24 channel Carvin.

For tunes I run an iPod into the mixer (will make wedding playlist).

Vocals (or cheesey DJ voice) is Shure mic

The only thing I have for lighting is some cheap cans with colored inserts.

I know my equipment isn't the best, but for the price it was good enough for me. Do you have any advice on what else I might need to pull this off? It will probably be 50ish people.

Thanks

• Members
I have amassed a PA system from various items from Criagslist. I've been in a lot of "right place at the right time" kinda deals (just scored a PAIR of Yamaha SW118Vs for $250). I was thinking about trying out the DJ-ing thing. I might have a chance to try out my lack of skills, but have no clue what I am doing. Here's the scoop; my sister-in-law is getting married and I could possibly run the sound and save her some cash (wedding gift from me). Here's what I have available:

This is mainly intended for a band PA by the way (although we have been on hiatus before I got alot of this).

4 - Yahama S115Vs powered by 1 QSC RMX2450

1 - Yamaha SW218V powered by 1 QSC RMX1450 (bridged)

2 - Yamaha SW118Vs powered by 1 QSC RMX1450 (bridged)

I have the following in an 18 space rack:

Furman Power conditioner

Alesis 3630

Lexicon MX200

TC Electronics M300

dbx 231

dbx 166xl

BBE 882i

dbx 234xl

(all the amps)

Finally, I have a 10 space rack with:

Furman Power Conditioner

Sony Cassette Deck

Karaoke DVD CDG Player

Stanton CD Player

For a mixer I have a 24 channel Carvin.

For tunes I run an iPod into the mixer (will make wedding playlist).

Vocals (or cheesey DJ voice) is Shure mic

The only thing I have for lighting is some cheap cans with colored inserts.

I know my equipment isn't the best, but for the price it was good enough for me. Do you have any advice on what else I might need to pull this off? It will probably be 50ish people.

Thanks

The first thing that immediately jumps out at me. Are the dual 18" Yam subs 4 ohms each? If that's the case, are you trying to fry the power amp running them?

• Members

DJing? @ yamaha tops on sticks, lights, DI box for the ipod to board, stanton cd player ....cdg/dvd should also play cd's.. Loads of CD's for all the request. Go to mobilebeat.com and do a cram session to get you going in the right direction. There is a lot that goes into it and I thought I would easily jump from cover band front man to local dj...not near as easy as one would think. Start storing up your patience now!!

Archived