Frequency Responses - Comparable?

• Members

In looking at a speaker's ability to deliver low frequencies, is it safe to compare the frequency responses for various speakers, assuming the db level that is referenced is the same? Or are there other factors that come into play? For example, can I be pretty certain that speaker A below will be better able to deliver some kick drum sound than speaker B?

Speaker A: Freq Resp 55Hz - 20kHz (+/-3db)

Speaker B: Freq Resp 76Hz - 20kHz (+/-3db)

Thanks.

• Members

I agree with Andy here.

The numbers you posted don't tell enough of the story to tell you anything.

What speakers are you talking about?

Well, in this case Speaker A is the Peavey PR 12P and Speaker B is the JBL PRX512M. I just picked these as an example because they're so different in terms of price and low end frequency response.

I want a physically small (size and weight) monitor that I can also put just a tad bit of kick drum and bass in (I find that when we play outdoors (jazz) I'd like to be able to hear just a slight bit of kick and bass in my monitor). I realize a 15" speaker will do a better job, but I understand that as long as I keep the levels way down, I'm OK to run some kick/bass through a 12".

I'm actually looking at the JBL PRX512M (76Hz - 20kHz @+/-3bd), the Mackie SRM450 (55Hz - 18kHz @+/-3db) and maybe the Yorkville NX55P (45Hz - 18kHz @+/-3db). I know everyone will obviously have their favorite, but I'm just wondering if I can look at these specs and be able to compare low end response. Or would there really be any audible difference in the ability of these three to provide a little low end for kick or bass (realizing that none will be able to do it very well)?

• Members

Here's where knowing the application is critical. IMO, with a sub the PRX is excellent, and very articulate throughout the midrange. This is something that the pure numbers do not clearly indicate. This comes in part as a tradeoff to low frequency extension. The 12" driver in the PRX is a lighterweight, thinner cone and lower compliance. This helps with the broadband response at the expense of low frequency extension. Without a sub, it wouldn't be my first choice IF low frequency response is important.

The PRX versus the PR12P is no real comparison. The JBL is a much better and more expensive speaker. They are not in the same "family" IMO.

• Members

Another item thats important is the SPL rating. If they dont match youre going to have one louder than the other. Best to buy speaks in pairs unless youre in a pinch then you have to go with what you got.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. So, in general, it's fair to say that, all other things being equal, I can expect that the difference in the lower frequency response between these speakers (i.e. 45Hz vs. 55Hz vs. 76Hz) really can make an audible difference when running bass and/or kick drum through them, right?

Archived