XTi vs. XLS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

2 ohm stable vs 4 ohm,except for the xls5000, pretty big diff in weight, prolly cause the switching supply in the XTi, looks like the XTi has better protection,.........Price?

I mean the Xs, not the XLS. Here's a link (its discontinued.) Crown Xs

• Members

They look pretty close as far power, etc, although of course not the same, but close. the Xs is 10lbs heavier, prolly a different architecture, but maybe just some diff in heat sink, transformer, etc. , you just wanting to know or are you comparing before purchase?

• Members

They look pretty close as far power, etc, although of course not the same, but close. the Xs is 10lbs heavier, prolly a different architecture, but maybe just some diff in heat sink, transformer, etc. , you just wanting to know or are you comparing before purchase?

I don't like the DSP with my subs, but I like Crown more than QSC. Weight doesn't bother me, I'm getting a Mackie SR40 and I always move my Yamaha S215IV's by myself, so weight doesn't matter for me.

• Members

Any yes, I do wish to buy one or two.

• Members

Weight doesn't bother me, I'm getting a Mackie SR40 and I always move my Yamaha S215IV's by myself, so weight doesn't matter for me.

After doing this kind of moving by yourself, just wait a few years and it will bother you plenty.

• Members

I don't like the DSP with my subs, but I like Crown more than QSC. Weight doesn't bother me, I'm getting a Mackie SR40 and I always move my Yamaha S215IV's by myself, so weight doesn't matter for me.

I've never had a QSC fail on me, but I've had a few crowns go down during shows. Albeit they were older rentals... lots of hard use.

For me with 4 or 5 amps in each rack, 160lbs is a lot nicer than 260lbs.

• Members

Designed for the MRX???? What a pile of marketing hooey.

I figured that they weren't specifically for the MRX like what they said, but it's power rating it pretty close. QSC PLX amps are too expensive for me, and I don't really like the RMX, as it draws too much power from the venue it'll be used at. The XTi's have been ok power wise, it still dims the lights with a sub, but not as much as the RMX we had, which constantly tripped the breaker. Do you have another suggestion that's in the price range of the XTi/Xs amps that would be better?

• Members

The efficiency between the RMX and the XTi are very close, I expect that if you dig a little deeper you will find a difference in sensitivity that results in that you are driving the RMX harder, or that they deliver more net power to the speakers.

• Members

The efficiency between the RMX and the XTi are very close, I expect that if you dig a little deeper you will find a difference in sensitivity that results in that you are driving the RMX harder, or that they deliver more net power to the speakers.

But what caused the breakers to trip? Was it just bad timing? The grounding is good (tested be an electrician), and it's only a year old.

• Members

I have 6 XTI's and I love them. They weigh very little, which I wasnt really concerned about until I switched, but now every time I can move my amp rack with 16k of power in it by myself, it makes me smile. Also, they dont pull very much power at all out of the wall. I had the QSC RMX series amps previously, and I dont remember the specs exactly, but I seem to remember them requiring quite a bit more juice from the wall than the XTIs. The DSP is a very handy tool. With the System Architect software, you are able to dial in those amps and eliminate a lot of outboard gear. As far the comparison between the XS and the XTI goes, I believe they are very similar with the exception of the weight and the DSP. I have used the XS as well and it was a solid amp.

• Members

I have 6 XTI's and I love them. They weigh very little, which I wasnt really concerned about until I switched, but now every time I can move my amp rack with 16k of power in it by myself, it makes me smile. Also, they dont pull very much power at all out of the wall. I had the QSC RMX series amps previously, and I dont remember the specs exactly, but I seem to remember them requiring quite a bit more juice from the wall than the XTIs. The DSP is a very handy tool. With the System Architect software, you are able to dial in those amps and eliminate a lot of outboard gear. As far the comparison between the XS and the XTI goes, I believe they are very similar with the exception of the weight and the DSP. I have used the XS as well and it was a solid amp.

I'm getting XTi's for the new MRX mains I'm getting, but I need something for the sub, and every XTi I've used on sub duty had to go back for repairs. Never pushed them, never peaked them, and had plenty of power (Happened at a different venue.) The DSP seems unnecessary for the subs, so I'd rather try something with out a DSP and use a x-over. If the PLX2 is pretty power efficient, then I'd probably go and get one PLX3102 for the MRX528S subs.

• Members

The Xti is switch mode supply,so thats the weight difference. Tripping the breaker....maybe this "Due to regulations concerning EMI/RFI radiation, many SMPS contain EMI/RFI filtering at the input stage before the bridge rectifier consisting of capacitors and inductors. Two capacitors are connected in series with the Live and Neutral rails with the Earth connection in between the two capacitors. This forms a capacitive divider that energises the common rail at half mains voltage. It's high impedance current source can provide a tingling or a bite to the operator or can be exploited to light an Earth Fault LED. However, this current may cause nuisance tripping on the most sensitive residual-current devices." Residual current device= GFI. Not saying thats it, just a thought.

A switch mode supply is a lot more complicated than a traditional linear supply. In the car audio amps that I see, fully 1/3 the failures are in the SMPS.

When it comes to low freq amplification I'm still old school. I like that heavey transformer. Above a couple hundred Hz., hell yeah, lighten the load. :)

• Members

The Xti is switch mode supply,so thats the weight difference. Tripping the breaker....maybe this "Due to regulations concerning EMI/RFI radiation, many SMPS contain EMI/RFI filtering at the input stage before the bridge rectifier consisting of capacitors and inductors. Two capacitors are connected in series with the Live and Neutral rails with the Earth connection in between the two capacitors. This forms a capacitive divider that energises the common rail at half mains voltage. It's high impedance current source can provide a tingling or a bite to the operator or can be exploited to light an Earth Fault LED. However, this current may cause nuisance tripping on the most sensitive residual-current devices." Residual current device= GFI. Not saying thats it, just a thought.

A switch mode supply is a lot more complicated than a traditional linear supply. In the car audio amps that I see, fully 1/3 the failures are in the SMPS.

When it comes to low freq amplification I'm still old school. I like that heavey transformer. Above a couple hundred Hz., hell yeah, lighten the load.
:)

I'm not sure I understand, I normally only do DC work. I don't have any GFI's on that breaker though...

• Members

I do not know for sure, but it's possible that the XTi's have PFC input SMPS and this may improve things a bit... but I don't think so.

Is the breaker tripping upon turn-on by chance? Maybe turning the whole rack or a couple of amps on at the same time?

The efficiency difference is quite small because both use a class H amplifier (or what is effectively class H, Crown does things a little differently IIRC) so the differences in net efficiency is pretty small.

• Members

I do not know for sure, but it's possible that the XTi's have PFC input SMPS and this may improve things a bit... but I don't think so.

Is the breaker tripping upon turn-on by chance? Maybe turning the whole rack or a couple of amps on at the same time?

The efficiency difference is quite small because both use a class H amplifier (or what is effectively class H, Crown does things a little differently IIRC) so the differences in net efficiency is pretty small.

It just randomly cuts out during shows.

Archived