Peavey Feedback Ferret

• Members

I ordered a Peavey Feedback Ferret to get rid of some kick drum rumble. My question is, where does it get installed in the system? I have a Peavey PV20 USB mixer (stereo), dbx 231 EQ and Mackie 1400i amps.

Also, does anyone have any comments/concerns about the Feedback Ferret?

Thanks!

• Members

Hey, I'll jump in since he opened the door on the overall use of the Ferret.

Those of you who use the Ferret (and like it), what's your typical approach?

I find the wide setting really whacks the sound too much. The normal mode seems to be a reasonable compromise. Any advice or successful approaches on running a Ferret?

(yes, I know there are many who don't like feedback suppressors out there)

• Members
I ordered a Peavey Feedback Ferret to get rid of some kick drum rumble. My question is, where does it get installed in the system? I have a Peavey PV20 USB mixer (stereo), dbx 231 EQ and Mackie 1400i amps.

Also, does anyone have any comments/concerns about the Feedback Ferret?

Thanks!

I suppose you'd insert it in the kick drum channel. Seems like a silly way to try and kill kick drum takeoff. Why not proper tuning, proper EQ'ing, and whatever gating might be necessary? Usually a parametric or semi-parametric is the best way to dial out hot spots in the kick.

• Members

I suppose you'd insert it in the kick drum channel. Seems like a silly way to try and kill kick drum takeoff. Why not proper tuning, proper EQ'ing, and whatever gating might be necessary? Usually a parametric or semi-parametric is the best way to dial out hot spots in the kick.

Yeah, like using a backhoe to plant roses... (Mark ;) )

• Members

It was the gate I adjusted and seems to work and sound pretty good.

I kind of get the impression that not many like the Ferret. Since we don't have a sound guy, I was thinking on making sure that we don't have any feedback issues. Maybe I will re-think this.

Thanks again!

• Members

I kind of get the impression that not many like the Ferret. Since we don't have a sound guy, I was thinking on making sure that we don't have any feedback issues. Maybe I will re-think this.

Thanks again!

Higher quality equipment combined with good placement will cut down the vast majority of your feedback problems. That being said, there is no problem with a feedback killer - it just wasn't the right equipment for the job you are asking it to do.

• Members

Thanks again!

I use a dbx Driverack 260 and LOVE the feedback eliminator. They do not replace a good EQ but they are certainly worth having in the signal chain. I like the dbx unit because of the size of the notch. I'm not sure how wide the notch is in the Ferret but I'll bet it is pretty narrow.

You might want to consider a Driverack. They handle EQ, crossover, feedback suppression, limiting, gating, sub harmonic filters, RTA with EQ wizard, etc... Worth looking into if you are willing to learn how to and how not to use it.

Archived