Another dumb question...

• Members

I would like bass and kick drum to be in our monitor mix - but our wedges are only 12" (JBL JRX112s for now) - how do I protect them? At the moment we are leaning towards powering them (and the mains) with a pair of QSC GX5s.

• Members

You're not gonna get much.

What you'll need to do is roll off the lows on the kick and bass before sending them to the monitors. You won't feel it but you may be able to hear the "clicky" parts of them

• Members

DBoomer is correct.

If you want a bigger sound for your drum monitor, keep the 12" wedge, add a sub and let the sub handle everything under 100Hz or so.

I have had a lot of success with my version of this setup, and I am just using an old Peavey 2X15" bass cabinet for my drum sub.

• Members

If you can't hear the bass or kick drum (Assuming acoustic drums) without them being in the monitor, you are playing way too loud. (Break down, buy a db meter. around $60 at radio shack) Your stage level shouldn't ever rise above 110 db. (and I find that tooo Dammmm Loud! Aim for 95 db.)

Try to avoid becoming another 35 year old deaf musician. (I'm 55 and having enough problems.)

• Members

Turn down the guitar amps, you should magically be able to hear the drums and bass amp after that.

Unless you're playing on bigger stages and/or outdoors, you shouldn't need any more than vocals in the wedges. Balance your stage levels with those nifty volume knobs on the amps.

• Members

I find Twostone's comment interesting. I've got four monitors, six speaker cabinets in a three way stereo system, a mini-van and a trailer. It's only around 1000 watts to the audience, but the system is so clean and sweet, I can't bring myself to want to bring less. On the other hand, I really don't want to bring more. (It takes around 90 minutes to setup just the PA.)

I've always been afraid to add up the total cost of my system.

• Members

You might try the Yorkville NX200S powered subwoofer. It has a built in crossover and you can send a speaker level signal to it. This allows you to put the sub with either a powered or unpowered monitor. We use them as a sub on a small club system or for the drum fill on our bigger setup. It's a flexible speaker with multiple applications and for $500.00 is a great solution.

• Members

and nifty, magical advice on your part too Mogwiz...

If you are indeed going to be playing bigger stages where sheer distance from one another on stage dictates the relative levels, then sidefills are your best option, IMO. A single 18" sub and a 12" box on a pole on either side of the stage are usually fantastic for giving the band a nice mix of everything on stage. This is really important outdoors, IMO, but you'll need a lot more power.

More often than not though it's a lot easier to turn down and save yourselves some money and some hearing. I like to play loud too but there's a point where you're just being obnoxious.

• Members

I find Twostone's comment interesting. I've got four monitors, six speaker cabinets in a three way stereo system, a mini-van and a trailer. It's only around 1000 watts to the audience, but the system is so clean and sweet, I can't bring myself to want to bring less. On the other hand, I really don't want to bring more. (It takes around 90 minutes to setup just the PA.)

I've always been afraid to add up the total cost of my system.

I hope when you say 90mins your including sound check. Takes me a little less and that includes lights but it would be a lot faster if I didn't have 4 other SE's in the band but my db meter ends all arguments.:p

Archived