scotchguard on speakers ???

• Members

I read in another forum about spraying scotchguard on speaker cones to protect from liquid (splashes of rain , or drinks etc)

have any of you done this before ?

does it affect the speaker / sound ?

it sounds a bit iffy to me
:confused:

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, either.

• Members

I read in another forum about spraying scotchguard on speaker cones to protect from liquid (splashes of rain , or drinks etc)

have any of you done this before ?

it sounds a bit iffy to me
:confused:

Are you sure that they didn't mean to spray the Scotchguard on the Speaker 'Cabinet', and not the Speaker itself? :idea:

I could possibly see the value in protecting the carpet/tolex/whatever on the cabinets as I've seen some, especially subs that are down at crowd level, and floor monitors, get 'Funky' over time from spilled beer, etc.

But I'll definitely defer to AgedHorse and company that spraying it on the Speaker Cones is probably a 'bad idea'.

Futuristic

• Members

While a material may seem similar, it may indeed be very different. One of the biggest issues is how the silicone type material interacts with the pulped cone binders. It's possible that the cone's fibers may loose their binding strength and stiffness. It depends on the type of binders used.

• Members

No effect that I can tell one way or the other as far as changing the sound or physical properties of the cone. I have some cone drivers in-service that I Scotchguarded approx. 20 years ago.

I don't advocate the practice, but it's seemingly worked ok for me with no negative effects that I can perceive.

• Members

Believe it or not this is the very same product some speaker manufacturer's use to coat the cones for water resistence. I've also done it myself for years with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever, audible or otherwise. There are however two rules I follow. One, never coat the back of the cone where you might overspray into the VC. Secondly, coat once and only once. I spray them lightly when new and never again. Overcoating will cause build up and add too much mass to the cone.

ScottH

Archived