PMP5000 Packaged PA System .. thoughts and suggestions

• Members

Link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-PMP5000B1520-PRO-Mains-Monitors-PA-Package?sku=631016

I'd like to know if anyone has used or known people who have used this packaged system and what your thoughts (or their thoughts) are. I've read on these boards about people using the mixer by itself with other types of speakers - and some of those people complaining about the mixer being insufficient weren't using it correctly, mismatching speakers, etc. So, I'd like feedback on strictly this system. I'm also well aware of the B-word, so let's keep that to a minimum, haha :cop:

I'm also looking at getting a passive mixing board and using powered speakers. We only need vocals - we're not mic'ing instruments (but we'd like the option to if needbe) - so I think this route would probably be better than grabbing this packaged system. There are threads about this, and I'm reading about the best deals, recommended this and that, etc. If you have any suggestions immediately on hand, then please throw 'em at me :)

I know either of these aren't the ideal solution, but my band is without a PA and the core of the group (read: myself and the other guitarist) can only cough up ~$700 a piece for a vocals solution (for a 100-200 person bar/room).

Thanks,

Riff

• Members

If you're going to go Behringer, I would suggest replacing the powered mixer + passive speakers with a good quality passive mixer (Yamaha or Peavey maybe) and all powered speakers. How about two B212As for monitors and two B215As for mains? Since powered speakers are all independently powered, you have 3 backups should one fail.

With the system you're looking at, should the powered mixer fail, no more sound for you! Also, you will get more sound from 4 powered speakers than from 4 passive ones powered by that mixer.. Just a suggestion. The B212A/B215A speakers are about as good as you can get for their price point.

With B212As at 200$ and B215As at 300$ (approx), you've got 600$ left for a decent passive mixer. As for mics, Behringer's XR8500s are fine and under 30$ a piece. Better systems can be had for more money of course, but for a beginner budget system, this is about the best you can do for 1600$.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I've convinced my partner in crime that we don't need to buy the whole she-bang all at once - we can live without monitors, so we can focus on getting a decent base setup first and then add things later. So the current plan is this:

1) Get a decent mixing board and two powered speakers. I'd really like to have an A&H MixWizard or something comparible. He can stick to his $700 cap, and I'll hit the rest. I've got a good Senheisser mic for our vocalist, so we can get some XM8500's for backup mics - I hear these can be really great .. possible to pick up a dud or two, but whatever. Anyways, this will serve our purposes while I save up to expand.

2) After a few more paychecks, religate the powered speakers to monitor duty. Then, I'll have to decide if I want to get passive mains speakers driven by a decent poweramp or stick with powered ones. I like the argument that if a powered speaker dies then only that speaker goes down .. as opposed to a poweramp going down and bringing 2 to 4 speakers with it. Anyways, now we have upgraded mains speakers and monitors .. with possibly a poweramp driving the mains.

3) Add a sub. Powered vs. dedicated poweramp argument still holds.

I think this is a decent, flexible way to grow into a good PA system where we can eventually mic everything if we have to. I may need to add EQ here and there depending on the mixer we get.

Feel free to comment :)

• Members

I'd go all powered...or all passive. It's easier to connect everything together that way - and the cabling (wires) stays the same.

Fun thing about powered speakers - they make a great portable jukebox in the summertime for the deck or at the cottage. Grab one and a portable music player, plug the speaker in a power outlet and you're good to go. No need to bring a mixer, a power amp and the wiring that goes with it. I've been enjoying mine this summer. At home, and at camp. :thu: Some powered speakers even let you plug a mic directly in and/or a music source or both together. Al

• Members

If you're going to go Behringer, I would suggest replacing the powered mixer + passive speakers with a
good quality passive mixer (Yamaha or Peavey maybe) and all powered speakers. How about two B212As for monitors and two B215As for mains?
Since powered speakers are all independently powered, you have 3 backups should one fail.

With the system you're looking at, should the powered mixer fail, no more sound for you! Also, you will get more sound from 4 powered speakers than from 4 passive ones powered by that mixer.. Just a suggestion. The B212A/B215A speakers are about as good as you can get for their price point.

With B212As at 200$ and B215As at 300$ (approx), you've got 600$ left for a decent passive mixer. As for mics, Behringer's XR8500s are fine and under 30$ a piece. Better systems can be had for more money of course, but for a beginner budget system, this is about the best you can do for 1600$.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

Very good reccomendation on the powered speakers. I would definately look at the Tapco Thump 15A's over the Behrs though. I have done extensive comparisons and the Tapcos STOMP the Behringers in every aspect , and they are only $70 more per box. They arent even in the same league.

• Members

Very good reccomendation on the powered speakers. I would definately look at the Tapco Thump 15A's over the Behrs though. I have done extensive comparisons and the Tapcos STOMP the Behringers in every aspect , and they are only $70 more per box. They arent even in the same league.

Thanks Norton666, the Thump 15s definitely look like a great speaker - and seem to sound very good from the reviews I've read. I usually only recommend speakers I have actually heard or used, which is why I didn't mention them...I'm hoping to buy one in the very near future - if everything goes well - and will certainly do a full review on them.

I am not surprised the Thumps outperform the Behrs in certain aspects - most likely their low frequency response, but I would seriously doubt if the Thumps could touch the B212s or B215s in terms of maximum output. When I tried the B212A in the store, I gave it a good run and it took a hell of a lot of signal to actually get the clip light to activate. They got damn loud - although there was very little low frequency (they are very compact plastic boxes) Nonetheless, I was very surprised at their overall performance! The mids and highs were very good, perfect for vocal reproduction and/or as a monitor. Very little EQ was needed to get them to sound good. A little reduction in the bass and a little boost in the highs and voila....They were much easier to tame than the Samsons I did a review on.....

Al

• Members

I like the compact size of the B212A for monitor duty. It is a bit heavier than I think it should be, though. The Thump 15A specs put it at 36 lbs, only 5 lbs. heavier than the B212A, and 7 lbs. lighter than the B215A. The Thump is even lighter than the PR15PN, which uses a neo driver. I wonder where the weight savings is coming from?

• Members

I strongly disagree that you can live without monitors. Being on stage and unable to year yourself is no fun at all.

I'd say as a permanent PA solution, you do have to have monitors. However, I played an outdoor gig with my band recently (I do not provide PA equipment for this band, and am new to live sound anyway) and we played without monitors with no problems. I was even behind the amps/speakers (I drum) and could hear well enough. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't ideal, but I managed.

• Members

I'd say as a permanent PA solution, you do have to have monitors. However, I played an outdoor gig with my band recently (I do not provide PA equipment for this band, and am new to live sound anyway) and we played without monitors with no problems. I was even behind the amps/speakers (I drum) and could hear well enough. Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't ideal, but I managed.

Were you singing?

• Members

No, I don't sing with the band that I was playing with. That certainly would have made having a monitor a necessity though haha.

I assume his band has singers, which is why I say monitors aren't optional.

• Members

Yeah, we have singers :) However, we're not that loud to where you can't hear your voice from the PA mains. We also didn't use monitors with the ex-bassist's previous PA - (he had the B-52 sub/2-mains combo package). So, we can manage without them until I get a hold of some decent mains.

Archived