Whats Louder:129db 400W or 129db 800W

• Members

This title isn't exact, but...

Looking at Yamaha S115V, 500W program and max spl 129db.

Looking at JBL MRX515, 800W program and max spl 130db.

I know there's 1db difference, but with a 300w difference, should JBL's db be higher or is Yamaha cheating on their numbers or is JBL selling us on wattage, or is there more to this than I realize.

Please help me understand.

Thanks

• Members

"There are lies, damn lies, and specifications".

What you need is the set of conditions under which the dB SPL number was derived. What's the frequency range, in particular how low a frequency does the speaker still produce that SPL at? How about distortion?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to boil all this down. Ideally you could rent the two different systems for gigs at the same venue, to decide for yourself it if the system in question meets your needs.

• Members

First off, both of those are calculated values obtained by adding the theoretical gain at the rated peak wattage capability -- 1600W for the JBL and 1000w for the Yamaha -- to the 1w@1m sensitivity ratings. So accounting for real-world factors, neither of these speakers are capable of those numbers. And, even if they were, it would be for a tiny fraction of a second.

Secondly, the difference between 500w and 800w for a given device only calculates to a maximum of 2 db.

So you really need to understand what exactly the numbers are intending to portray. In these cases, I'd say mostly a bit of marketing fancy.

• Members

You are confusing two unrelated things.

Even when the test conditions are the same the speaker with the higher SPL level may not be louder (and the wattage has nothing to do with loudness). That's because every single frequency is not this SPL level. It's an average and it is up to the person reading the number to "average" it. It is not an exact measurement.

Now if you said SPL at one single frequency then the winner would be the one with the higher SPL ... at least SPL wise.

Loudness and SPL are not the same thing. SPL is a measurable pressure level. Loudness is a subjective quantity usually factoring in some distortion. So that a speaker with SPL 120 may not be as loud as one with SPL 117 but that has higher distortion.

• Members

I know there's 1db difference, but with a 300w difference, should JBL's db be higher or is Yamaha cheating on their numbers or is JBL selling us on wattage, or is there more to this than I realize.

Thanks

Its pretty simple, if you just blindly go by specs. According to them, the Yams are just a hair more efficient. If you go purely by specs, and if they used the exact same rating, it looks like the JBLs would put out about 128db @500 watts.

• Members

Thanks

A/B the S115V vs MRX515 with 500 Watts of power using the same amp and music.

I have the MRX515s. I'm pretty sure your ears will like them better.

• Members

I have heard both at different music stores and I will agree the JBL's did sound better, not that the Yami's sounded bad at all though, BUT, I can't really open them up at these places due to restricted space (I swear the live sound rooms in these places is deliberately small so things sound louder).

I just want to know if these speakers can put out relatively the same volume.

• Members

I have heard both at different music stores and I will agree the JBL's did sound better, not that the Yami's sounded bad at all though, BUT, I can't really open them up at these places due to restricted space (I swear the live sound rooms in these places is deliberately small so things sound louder).

I just want to know if these speakers can put out relatively the same volume.

The JBL should sound better, it costs darn near double the price....... We all agree that the Yamaha's sound very good for the money.

Yes, they will produce "relatively" the same volume. However, in my opinion the JBL's sound better while doing it. They are both good value speakers for their price points, you will have to decide if the difference is worth the cost.

Winston

Archived