Need help with direct out issue....

• Members

So, then.

Could I take the parallel out of the speaker cab to a direct box (even passive) and attenuate it via the speaker/ line switch?

Yes, but you wouldn't have any speaker emulation. You will have whatever power stage overload however, but without emlation will tend to sound really harsh. Be sure the DI is capable of speaker level inputs.

• Members

Just to set the record straight. The idea that an active DI is requires to maintain a good tone from a line or speaker out isn't entirely correct. The idea that there should be some kind of speaker emulation before the signal reaches the front end of the board is correct (not to say there may not be exceptions (bass is one that immediatly comes to mind)).

The most important reason to use an active DI is that the input impedance is very high (in the Mega ohms region, as compared to kilo ohms for a passive device). This high impedance won't "load down" the output of an instruments pickup (when connected directly to the pickup, BEFORE the amp) and therefore won't do much to change the tone.

When connecting to a line level output (one that wants to see 1k ohm or better) or a speaker level output (one that wants to see 8 ohms or better) a 100k ohm passive device will work plenty fine (save the active DI's for when your connected directly to an instruments passive pickup I.E. acoustic guitar, other stringed instruments with pickups or a bass when the DI is inserted BEFORE the amp).

It just happens that a lot of good DI's that have speaker modeling inside happen to be active devices (probably because it's possible and or easier and or more efficient to achieve the required eq/phase shift/black magic with an active circuit rather than a passive one) but it's not the fact that they are active that matters (but rather their tone modification circuitry). In other words an active DI without any emulation function won't sound any better than a passive one when hooked up to a line or speaker level output.

Just clairifying some of the thoughts here (is 4 paragraphs clairification or more muddle?:D:blah:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You should always convert the unbalanced outputs of a guitar or preamp to balanced signals if you're going to run cables longer than about 20 feet or so. This will reduce noise problems. Depending on the signal level of the 1/4" output, you may be able to use a passive DI box to handle this conversion. Simply use a short guitar cable into the DI, and an XLR from there to your snake.

You might want to experiment with inserting the DI between your guitar and the amp, or at the end of the effects loop, just before you return it to the amp. These options would give you a "clean" or an effected, but lower than line level signal. This can be mixed at the console with your mic'd signal for more tonal variation from the front-of-house....it's not uncommon for the sound engineer to desire less effects in FOH than you think you may need...especially if you use delays and 'verbs indoors.

Edit: Sorry for any redundancy...I moved this thread from your duplicate thread. I'll delete that thread.

Would this rule also apply to the direct out on my Roland acoustic amp? I typically run longer than 20 feet to the console.

• Members

Most line outs from guitar amps take the signal BEFORE the power amp. The power amp - especially tube power amps - play an underrated role in the tone of your amp. If your line out is pre-power amp, you're missing out on a lot of tone.

H&K makes a Red Box DI that is designed to work with guitar amp speaker outputs. I use one on my rig and it sounds way better than the line out.

I looked up the red box DI. Is the one you use active or passive?

Archived