Strange Thing Happened

• Members

A strange thing happened at a gig Friday night.

My monitor, a Yamaha SM12III, started to distort as if it was loosing power, and after a slow "fizzle" it went silent. Oh well, I figured, must need a new woofer (it doesn't use a cross-over as it has a piezo horn). The stage volume was "normal" for us, which is very low.

The Yamaha was the first speaker in a two speaker chain. I'm about 97.3% sure that the speaker next to it was functioning. I did check the Status LED's on the amp (Mackie M1400i) to see if it was having a problem (Protect, Short, Temp), but all looked good.

Last night I hooked up the speaker so I could trouble-shoot the problem...and the speaker worked just fine. Nice and clean even at volume settings much higher then we'd ever use on stage.

Any ideas.

• Members

It was Amp => Patch => Speaker (in question) => Speaker

Like I said, I think the second speaker in the chain was working...ut now I'm beginning to have my doubts.

I'm starting to think it was the patch panel and that the second speaker may not have been working. I've had issues in the past with having to re-insert speaker cables at my patch panel.

• Members

It was Amp => Patch => Speaker (in question) => Speaker

Like I said, I think the second speaker in the chain was working...ut now I'm beginning to have my doubts.

I'm starting to think it was the patch panel and that the second speaker may not have been working. I've had issues in the past with having to re-insert speaker cables at my patch panel.

may be wire on terminals of speaker inside box got loosed or input connector being loosed and gave spark. Please check

• CMS Author

Andy covered my next question. It would help to have been certain whether the second speaker was working...if it was working, then the problem is isolated to the first speaker between the input jack and the driver VC that cut out. If the second speaker was not working the problem would be anywhere from the amp to (and including) the input jack of the first speaker.

• Members

Patch panel, user upgrade?

Unfortunately, when I built my patch panel, I used 1/4" connections for the monitors.

At this point I realize that I don't have enough useful data. Until I can recreate the problem (hopefully at a rehearsal rather then a gig), I think I will remove the driver and ensure that all connections are secure.

• Members

1/4 speaker connections can be problematic on a patch panel. You have to be SURE that the ground from the amp isn't connected to the chassis of the jack itself, if there is more than on amp in that rack then the grounds for all the amps are tied together and amps do wierd things.

Given that this is the first time it's happened it's prolly not a panel issue. My guess would be 1/4 inputs into the speaker, the plug may have come out a bit. SM12III's aren't really worth upgrading to speakons.

p

• CMS Author

1/4 speaker connections can be problematic on a patch panel. You have to be SURE that the ground from the amp isn't connected to the chassis of the jack itself, if there is more than on amp in that rack then the grounds for all the amps are tied together and amps do wierd things.

Given that this is the first time it's happened it's prolly not a panel issue. My guess would be 1/4 inputs into the speaker, the plug may have come out a bit. SM12III's aren't really worth upgrading to speakons.

p

The solution to eliminating common grounds is to use plastic-housing jacks, or isolating bushings to mount all-metal jacks.

But Speakons are the better solution all the way 'round...

• Members

My guess would be 1/4 inputs into the speaker, the plug may have come out a bit. p

I think we have a winner here. I do remember someone accidentally kicking the monitor (it was off-stage, on the floor) in between the first and second sets as they were walking past the stage. I walked over and straightened it out. I wouldn't be surprised if the connection came loose.

It could have been a lot worse then a speaker stopping. If that was the problem I could have fried the amp.

Archived