How can I Distort my voice (live) without having the PA feedback???????????????

• Members

How can I Distort my voice (live) without having the PA feedback???????????????

Hi, Im trying to Distort my voice for a live performance but the distortion is making my PA feedback like crazy. The Mic is going into a Rat distortion pedal and direct into my PA ( soundcraft gigrac 6000 ) through Two JBL eons. The room is pretty small so the PA is close. Now I understand that i might be going about this whole thing all wrong. So help please. suggestions? thank you

• Members

Most of those distortion units require quite a bit of experimenting to work close to how you want them without feedback.

A megaphone into your vocal mic gives a lo-fi distorted kinda sound if you think that can work.

you can also hook a vocal mic to a small practice guitar amp and distort the vocal that way. You'd mic the guitar amp to get the effect in the FOH. Of course, it requires extra gear and a spare mixer channel.

• Members

I read the reviews on the vocal 300. they were okay. Im still reading that there is alot of feedback. Any other sugestion, maybe something high end? How do the " Strokes " do it? yes i know they have tons of expensive equipment but Im sure they had to figure out how to distort a voice without feedback too.

thanks

• Members

A lot of the issues with distortion on voice come from running that distorted vocal back through the monitors. As Moody said, run a clean signal through the monitors (maybe a hint of distortion, just to make sure it's right) and you should be fine. Otherwise, if the distortion is coming from the mains you may need to do some ringing out of your system.

• Members

Not sure if you're looking for a piece of equipment or just to do it with the mic. Some people already addressed the equipment - but you can distort your voice by just covering the mic with your hands.

Do you play a guitar at the same time - or do you have 2 free hands?

If so, you can cover the mike with your hands - and sing inside the hole of your hands - but to the side - not directly in the mic. You get a megaphone effect like that. And of course you can also use a megaphone.

• Members

Solve all your problems right here -

http://www.tc-helicon.com/voicetonecreate.asp

You can get them new for $250 or used for as low as $180.

Here's a little vid demonstration.

At the very, very end, she demonstrates one of the distorted sounds.

If ya wanted to step it up and use something that the guys from NIN or the Strokes would be using on a pro-level, check this stuff out-

http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceWorksPlus.asp ($799.99)

http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoicePro.asp ($2K or over)

• Members

I like the idea of the bullet into the 5 watt. What about just putting a stompbox in the chain. I've seen a little panic footswitch that routes the mic to either A or B silently. So then you could go to the PA, or to the amp and then it's mic back to another channel on the board.

Or you could do the rack TC helicon way.

But if the only effect you want is distortion I think I would go the amp way because that could sound killer with a blues junior or something.

• Members

That unit is designed for the floor in front to the singer. It has a preamp and effects the entire mic signal...thus effecting the monitors as well. When I messed around with one 6 or 7 years ago, it was hard to have the vocals hot in the monitor and not get feedback.

True, but (back when I used a V300) I'd just run my vocal mic's signal into the monitor at below feedback level...if you're working with professional musicians, the stage volume needn't be so loud.

OTOH, if you're working w/ drummers and/or lead players who can't play w/o blasting, you're SOL. :facepalm:

Archived