best upgrade path

• Members

I am upgrading a PA for my band. I started with a pair of JBL Mpro 215 cabs powered by a Peavey XR600. I used it for small gigs. Now that I am in a decent band, I've started upgrading. I added a pair of JBL JRX 118 subs, two crown XTI 1000 amps, and an Allen Heath Mixwiz 16 channel mixer. I also have a Behringer compressor, a Peavey Autograph II and a Peavey Gatekeeper I inherited from previous bands. I'm looking to build a small PA with some punch that doesn't require a panel truck to carry around. We use SM58 and Sennheizer mics. So far, the stuff I've bought has been more because of getting a good deal rather than, "Is this the best stuff to buy?". I'm looking for advice on the best stuff I can buy to improve this system. Should I be looking for better speakers, bigger amps, more EQ, etc? What's going to give the best improvement in sound for the money. BTW we play a variety of music, mostly classic rock and country. We are not an overly loud band. Thanks for the advice,

CRH

• Members

Sell off your current speakers and get yourself something purpose built for your new upgraded needs. In the powered speaker arena. something like a couple of PRX-512's and a couple of PRX-518's per side would be a good upgrade from what you have right now. If you were interested in taking an even bigger step up, the SRX-700 series (need appropriate power amps) is a good start. There are options by several manufacturers, but check out the size and weight along with performance and reputation for quality and reliability among the more professional users.

• Members

Going to the MRX line would be a good step and not break the bank. The other nice thing is that they are relatively light. You would be able to use the amps you have, one crown for the subs in the bridged mode and the other for monitors. You'd still need an amp for the tops. If that Peavey is an old powered mixer, relegate it to the practice room.

• Members

I actually have a cheap Pyle 1000 that we are using to do the monitors. That leaves both crown XTI 1000 amps for FOH. Presently, I am using each crown to run one stack, with one side of the amp powering the MPro and the other side powering the JRX118, using the tone file from JBL for the JRX118 in the crowns. I've played with the DSP in the crowns and saw the Bridged sub setting. Bridge mode scares me. Don't I have to rewire my speaker connections to do that? What's the best way to configure this stuff?

thanks again

• Members

Sell off your current speakers and get yourself something purpose built for your new upgraded needs.

Hage1... you should keep rereading this post till it sinks in. The part quoted above is very clear actually, and is probably GREAT advice.

I agree that killer speakers are the ONLY path to killer sound.

• Members

Forget bridging if you don't know how to wire for bridge amp you certainly have no business bridging. You definitely need to start upgrading your cabs passive or active I agree with AH, for fellers like your self that just starting out Active all the way takes the guess work out :thu: their spec-ed out (specially designed ) so basically you plug in your mics cable etc.. set your channel gain and eq to taste and your good to go. They make things easier for you. Now days their even more compact and light weight with superior sound quality and the volume needed to fill most small to medium venues.

• Members

oops Aged is right I was thinking they were 8 ohm cabs. I was trying to help avoid selling what he has as selling used gear sucks big time. Looks like whatever route you decide to take Hage will involve new power be it amps or powered cabs.

• Members

Last thing that comes out of your signal chain is your speakers. Start there and work your way up the signal chain until your satisfied with the end results.

Agree there the most also...

We are in the process of demoing a few systems to replace out SR4700 (not the X series) tops.

A cab that has out eye is the Yorkville Unity, it cheap and ROI looks good. I haven't heard much of them or anything about them. We are also considering the EV QRx and JBL SRX, but the ROI will take a little long than the Yorkvilles.

• Members

Considering the responses here, and my own research, I'm going to be looking at new powered speakers. For a small band , that seems the easiest path to the best sound. The stuff I have now has paid for itself over and over, so I can't complain. I will keep my wedges, one amp rack with some graphic EQs as it seems easier for our monitors. Now I need to decide what powered speakers to buy. I'll search the threads here as I'm sure that question has come up. If not, perhaps a new thread.....

thanks all

• Members

I'm going to check out some PRX and some Yorkville NX later this week. Same store carries both. The PRX would be a $4k upgrade. I was hoping not to spend that much. Are there any "poor man's" powered speakers I should consider. The dealer says I should consider MRX since I already have amps. That's about a $2.8k upgrade. I'm not sure that is a good enough upgrade from my MPros and JRX subs for the money. Decisions decisions....

thanks again

• Members

Considering the responses here, and my own research, I'm going to be looking at new powered speakers. For a small band , that seems the easiest path to the best sound. The stuff I have now has paid for itself over and over, so I can't complain. I will keep my wedges, one amp rack with some graphic EQs as it seems easier for our monitors. Now I need to decide what powered speakers to buy. I'll search the threads here as I'm sure that question has come up. If not, perhaps a new thread.....

thanks all

If your gonna keep one of your amps I would keep the amp that could run 4 wedges at their recommended rms ratings usually that's 2 per side of the channel amp. For example I running 4-Yorkville NX'35's on a QSC PLX2502 2 wedges per side. I can add up to 8 wedges total because the PLX has no probs with 2ohm loads as long as I match the the amp and speaker ratings that gives me room for the expansion if need be. You can alway start off running 1 pair of wedges off just one side of the amp just check your amp paper work on a 4ohm load for rating. Good choice going active lots folks here also rave about the QSC active cabs. I can't comment on how they sound because I never heard any in action. I have heard the JBL PRX in action but unfortunately they had a bad mix because of user error. I can vouch for the Yorkville NX750P active cab I own and it rocks. Hope this helps and good luck.

• Members

The MRXs are considerably better then the JRXs. The MRXs are the just unpowered PRXs. We went with PRX512s over MRX 518s since we already had a decent amp (K1) for the subs. There is absolutely NO COMPARISON between JRX and MRX subs. They are in completely different worlds. I wasted money on the JRXs at first but I have learned my lesson. I'm completely satisfied with and have no intention of replacing my MRXs. Take a listen for yourself.

• Members

Yeah but the OP has Mpro 215's. The MRX should be much better stuff. Since you already have two amps keep the JRX subs with one amp, use the other amp for your monitors and then pic up a pair of powered tops like the PRX 512's. There are other nice powered top options like FBT, RCF and QSC. The QSC HPR121's are a bit cheaper and sound great.

• Members

I would seriously consider QSC HPR powered speakers before you make a decision. I like JBL and always have but if you do A&B comparison between the JBL PRX and the QSC HPR, I think you will walk away with the QSC's.

The QSC's are less $ also if that is an issue. Just my opinion but I think many on this forum will agree with me. If you decide on the QSC's, PM me and I will recomend a place where you can get them for way less $ than you have seen advertised anywhere.

• Members

QSC, JBL, and Yorkville are all about a $4k upgrade. I'll be watching for used stuff for awhile. I may be able to do it half at a time. Would it be best to get subs first or tops? Seems tops would make the most difference.

• Members

The QSC powered speakers are pretty heavy. That may be an important consideration.

There is no comparison between the MRX/PRX/MP400 series cabinets and the JRX/MP-200's. Totally different performance level.

Start out with the tops first, but really consider the net costto you after selling off the junk. It may be less than you think.

• Members

I can get a good deal on a pair of NX55p speakers at a local store. (under $1450 for the pair). I'm going to have a listen on Friday. We play two small bars where we only bring in the two MPros, power amp, and mixer. We only run vocals in the PA. I assume a pair of NX55ps would handle this. There would be no power amp to haul in either. I will also be listening to the MRX stuff friday.

• Members

Since I'm a bassist I'd suggest (very biased) that you should upgrade the JRX subs first then the tops. The JRX subs are just a really poor entry level unit. I had tears in my eyes the first time I hooked up my MRX subs. It was an epiphany. It was like I heard the bass and kick for the first time. If I weren't the bass player (and a bit more logical) I would suggest upgrading the tops first.

• Members

I can say that I own several of the Yorkville NX 550P, which is the earlier version of the NX 55P, and they are a great little speaker. Whether two of them will be "loud" enough for you I can not say, but they will sound good.

• Members

Good point jwlissow. It is the "kick in the a**" that the present system really lacks. I will be checking out those subs friday as well. I also found out this store has QSC speakers in stock. Quite a place with JBL, Yorkville, and QSC all on the same floor.

Archived