completely and insanely off topic

• Members

I post this only because I suspect that the talent pool here is pretty broad.

After a house file, I had some stuffed animals cleaned because of protein smoke odor. They were passed around over the years to the kids in the extended family and therefore have some sentimental value.

They were put in an ozone chamber, and then in a liquid CO2 chamber of some kind.

They were returned with a strong odor (the guy said was ozone, but I thought ozone was too volatile to last for weeks, which it has). They were also returned with the plastic eyes etched somehow -- the cleaner said he'd seen it before from the CO2.

Two questions ...

1. what is the odor

2. how can I polish the roughness (like cataracts) out of the plastic eyes.

Don't laugh. I bet somebody on here knows.

TIA,

Rick

• Members

First of all ozone is just a gas. It is really O3 rather than O2 (the oxygen component of the air we like to breath). Yes it has an odor and yes it does dissapate quickly. I'm wondering if your animals weren't dry cleaned as well (there's some pretty exotic peroxide (I think) type chemicals used in that process). You might walk into a dry cleaning establisment and "see" if you smell the same chemicals.

A liquid CO2 chamber? I would think that would freeze and severly break down the structure of any foam or batting inside the toy. How strange.

Listen to Mark about the eyes.

• Members

First of all, thanks to all who responded.

I got some jeweler's rouge and will eventually have a seamstress remove the eyes. Apparently, they are "locked in" (according to the manufacturer) for safety purposes.

The cleaner advertises liquid CO2 at 700psi. They weren't supposed to use it (they said they'd use ozone only). They damaged cloth, plastic and color. But, I haven't been able to figure out what the odor is. The clothing they cleaned has no odor. I'm going to bring one around to a couple of the local cleaners and see if they recognize the odor.

Good tip about the eyes ... I'll be looking.

Rick

Archived