compressier/limiter/gate

• Members

I need some help. I am the type of person that needs to be shown how to do something in order to learn. So I was wondering if someone could give me some general settings for compressors and such for sound and then I could start different settings from there. SO this is what I have in my band, so pls help me with some general settings:

kick on EV ND868 Kick Mic

snare on sm57

hi hat on sm 57

2 overhead condensor mics for drums

bass guitar (line out from amp)

electric guitar (line 6 pod)

acoustic guitar (line out from amp)

keyboard piano (di box)

keyboard organ/strings (di box)

lead vocal on countryman e6 headset

2 back up singers on sm58

I was taught to set channel, sub master, and master to unity and then adjust gain with solo light on, is there a better way for doin this especially for vocals?

• Members

Here's some good reading. It's the Presonus StudioLive manual. The last 20 or so pages are some nifty tutorials that go through micing, eq, gates, and compression including some starter settings for getting certain sounds. Just be conscious that some of the extreme compression settings are really suited for studio work and will pre prone to feedback in a live setting, especially if it's coming through monitors too.

Presonus Tutorials (starts at page 62). (~10 MB file)

• Members

If you are having dificulty figuring out how to do things, then just don't use your comps & gates until you get the basics figured out absolutely solid. No comps/gates are better than the basics not being right IMO.

I just got an email from Syn-Aud-Con today:

These two seminar locations are a perfect opportunity to attend our newly revised and upgraded seminars. Both "Core Principles of Audio" and "Sound Reinforcement for Technicians" now include interactive hands on exercises.

Check out our new videos for more information. They are a great way to get a detailed description of the classes.

Our goal is to present new ideas and techniques that will save your company time and money. Attendees leave the seminar with confidence knowing that their decisions can now be based on proven principles rather than intuition. We are certain that you will develop a new excitement and enthusiasm for your job.

Please join us in Oklahoma City or Washington DC. or check out our schedule below.

Best Wishes,

Brenda Brown

Core principles of audio

• Members

In regards to the OP - I think you may have been misled. You want to solo the channels and check their pre-fader levels before you set everything to unity. Not the other way around (hence the term pre fader levels). Then adjust your faders as needed (not necessarily all to unity - just as much as you need) - at least.... thats how I do it.

• CMS Author

I need some help. I am the type of person that needs to be shown how to do something in order to learn. So I was wondering if someone could give me some general settings for compressors and such for sound and then I could start different settings from there. SO this is what I have in my band, so pls help me with some general settings:

kick on EV ND868 Kick Mic

snare on sm57

hi hat on sm 57

2 overhead condensor mics for drums

bass guitar (line out from amp)

electric guitar (line 6 pod)

acoustic guitar (line out from amp)

keyboard piano (di box)

keyboard organ/strings (di box)

lead vocal on countryman e6 headset

2 back up singers on sm58

I was taught to set channel, sub master, and master to unity and then adjust gain with solo light on, is there a better way for doin this especially for vocals?

Drop all faders. Solo a channel. Adjust (with performer *supposedly* playing at his loudest:rolleyes:) the gain so meter tops out at 0dB, possibly a tad higher. Repeat for all channels. Raise master to 0dB. Raise the channels to their respective relative mix levels. This should result in the loudest mix you plan for the show. Keep an ear and eye (on main meter) out for the main mix clipping in the mixer, and if needed, lower all channels slightly to reduce the main bus signal level.

Find and read dbx's paper on compression. It's on their website in the owner's manuals for their 166 and 266 compressors.

• Members

For $1800 it better drive my drunk ass home after the gig, too.

Street price your within about $50 a channel to DBX 166XL. extra $50 a channel is a small investment in the scope of a decent system. KT SQ1 is a big jump up. I have many brands of comps. The KT stuff (both the SQ and DN) is requested much more by my customers:love: then others. which makes it a much better value for just a little extra cash.

• Members

I find that most of my customers are just as happy with the DBX products. In fact, I just sold off all my KT comps and have the balance of my Drawmer comps for sale as well. For many users, it's just a step sideways.

But the KT is purple and it looks really cool in the FOH rack....:thu:

• Members

I find that most of my customers are just as happy with the DBX products. In fact, I just sold off all my KT comps and have the balance of my Drawmer comps for sale as well. For many users, it's just a step sideways.

Yes most people will be happy with either of these units:thu:.

My point (directed to the comment of SQ1Ds expense )was on a per channel basis the SQ1D is not expensive.

I compared it to the DBX not to knock DBX, but because it is a well liked known compressor here on Harmony Central, and has a price per channel price point very close to the SQ1D.

Both sound good especially in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.

The jump up I reffered to was in the feature set, The SQ1D does not have the auto feature (appeals mostly to beginers and set and forget applications)

However the SQ1D has added some handy features (that appeal to many not all experianced people) like wide and narrowband sweepable frequency dependent compression and the solo bus. Also I personally like the metering better. The question is not if the jump up in features exists, but if features like frequency dependent compression or the solo bus are valuable to each individuals application. They are both good sounding reliable compressors:). I do have a bunch of customers that request SQ1D that used to request the DBX first, they find value in SQ1D's additional features at a comparable per channel price thus a comparable rental price.

Plus you save 1 rack space per eight channels and of course it is color coordinated with some of the Midas line:cool:

• Members

Very interesting seminar have you been? If so, did they teach you anything you didn't already know? My mom attended a seminar about Real Estate that helped her tremendiously years ago.
:cool:

No, I have not.

I would like to go to it. But I am busy this particular date.

• Members

Agedhorse,

What do you think of the Presonus ACP88?

Depends on how aggressive you need to be. If you are using it for mild corrective or creative applications, they are a sutable tool. If you are trying to do very aggressive comping and gating, especially with fast risetime signals and short attack times, it may not be the best choice. BUT, this is a user choice and you can always refine your apprioach to within the parameters of the tools at hand.

Archived