Help identifying a Washburn hollow-body electric

• Members

I bought a Washburn hollow-body electric back in the 90's from a pawn shop.  There's no serial number or model number that's obvious.  Looking inside, there are a couple of east asian characters penciled onto the back (I'm guessing Japanese) along with what *looks* like "HB 75" (which doesn't correlate to any guitar I can find online).  The metal tailpiece seems pretty rare/unique, and the only example I can find is this video of what is identified as a J-10 (but with different coloration): 

Here is a photo of my guitar:

spacer.png 

Can anyone shed some light on this instrument???

Thanks!

Andrew

• Moderators

I'll admit I am not an expert on Washburn, especially once production moved to Asia. Washburn, as you may have already discovered, has no archive pre-1990...wonderful, eh?:rolleyes2:

I agree I never heard of a Washburn HB75...but there are HB models, HB obviously standing for Hollow Body. There are single p-up HB15s with that Florentine cutaway. Maybe that '7' was a '1'?

My guess is that yours has been modded, originally maybe it was a J series, like the 3 [which has the Florentine cutaway]. However there are several issues with that assumption, mainly the pickup locations, the neck inlays, head inlay, the pickguard and tailpiece do not look like that model. More likely it is a J-10 with a different headstock inlay, and modded pickguard but the rest is pretty much there.

I hope this helps at least get you on the trail.

• Members
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AndrewOfTheForest said:

I bought a Washburn hollow-body electric back in the 90's from a pawn shop.  There's no serial number or model number that's obvious.  Looking inside, there are a couple of east asian characters penciled onto the back (I'm guessing Japanese) along with what *looks* like "HB 75" (which doesn't correlate to any guitar I can find online).  The metal tailpiece seems pretty rare/unique, and the only example I can find is this video of what is identified as a J-10 (but with different coloration): 

Here is a photo of my guitar:

spacer.png 

Can anyone shed some light on this instrument???

Thanks!

Andrew

If you can get a picture of the Asian writing my wife can read it . Japanese and Chinese characters are the same. 
Korean is different but at least you might know where it was made.

Edited by gardo