Good musicians ear plugs???

• Members

i got some er-20's from elacin theyre licenced by the Etymotic Research (just rebrand i think) i have quite wide ear passages you think they arent really working 'til you take them out.

• Members

For my band, the "style" of buds seems to be more important than the brand. Go to Target and buy a few sets of "cheapies" in different styles. From there you will know which ones to consider spending more money on. I ended up with the Shure ELC-3's, (love 'em). The other bandmembers all have something different. The Shures stay in good during some crazy drumming. I also recently added a Buttkicker. WOW. WOW again. Keep in mind that NO earbuds have an 18" subwoofer and the bass will always suffer.

• Members

I had a $300 pair of custom molded variable pass plugs made by an audiologist. I hated them. I continue to use small wads of paper towel in my ears and can loosen or tighten them in the ear canal to customize the frequency response. They are very effective, cheap and I've always got a paper towel in my pocket wherever I go. I've learned how to rip off just the right size square in equal parts for both ears to do the trick.

• Members

I had a $300 pair of custom molded variable pass plugs made by an audiologist. I hated them. I continue to use small wads of paper towel in my ears and can loosen or tighten them in the ear canal to customize the frequency response. They are very effective, cheap and I've always got a paper towel in my pocket wherever I go. I've learned how to rip off just the right size square in equal parts for both ears to do the trick.

Really?????? Are you serious????

• Members

Really?????? Are you serious????

Yes, I'm really not kidding. It works well for my own protection and use informally. I don't know what good they'd be on stage with additional monitoring and high sound pressure levels.

I often jam paper towel in my ears at concerts. It frequently saves me from 'concert hangovers.'

My ears ring like mad. They have for the last ten years. I was suicidal when it first happened and I don't want any more hearing loss.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I do it all the time, but never had custom ear plugs to compare with. I had the ER-20 but for some reason the paper towel works better. do you have any clue how much they attenuate in dB, would cotton attenuate more?

• Members

I have ER15-Clear. Etymotic Research is what is says on the plastic. Westone on the case. The 15 refers, I think, to 15 db reduction.

I had previously used the foam ones and the pagoda likes ones -- all from Guitar Center. They worked, but not much better than some wadded up kleenex.

The ER15's are something else. When properly inserted (which is a bit of a challenge), suddenly everything is quieter.

Earlier today, I was in a rehearsal room with two horns, a loud drummer, electric bass and piano (plus my guitar). The music was loud, powerful and seemed to be reverberating. At that edge where I kinda liked the power and kinda found it painful.

So, I plug in the earphones. Suddenly, the drummer is under control, playing softly and the whole band seems to be playing lighter.

Frankly, I wasn't sure if it was the earplugs or if they all came down in volume when they realized I was uncomfortable.

When I took them out, I realized they hadn't changed at all. The earplugs made that much difference.

In fact, it was probably too much and I plan to get a lower reduction insert.

Rick

• Members

I'll backup what most will say here. Go to an audiologist and have some molds done. I did and it's the best thing ever. If you can't use in-ear monitoring these plugs are a must. The custom molds go farther in the ear past the second little bend and have custom filters which attenuate at -9dB, -15dB and -25dB Ibelieve. I use the -15dB filters. They are soap and water washable once the filters are removed. By going deeper in the ear they eliminate that head resonant sound you get from foamies and such. They are very easy to sing with. An essential for any musician. I wish I had made the investment years before I did. I paid about $110-120 for everything.

• Members

Why not?

I'm a lead singing drummer and that is exactly what I use normally.

Think about your ears in the same way you think about your drums. If you wanted to make them quieter, would you stuff them chock full of foam?

You're killing your upper mid recognition with those ear plugs. I think that if you tried something different you might notice a dramatic difference in how you hear yourself.

Archived