Guide to using FX

• Members

I do acoustic/vocal solo or duets generally 3-4 nights per week anything ranging from Country, Classic Rock, Blues, and some new Rock mixed in. I have to run sound myself from behind my mains, which is not easy but I think I do ok. I'm pretty good at EQing everything early on, but I'm still learning what FX sound better in certain situations and I would love any input you all might have.

Here's what Im running:

Soundcraft EFX8

2 JBL PRX512M's

1 TC Helicon VSM300 XT

EV ND767A Mic

AT MB4K Mic

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic Electric

Radial JDI Passive DI Box

I usually rotate between one of four different FX:

Large Hall Reverb

Room Reverb

Arena Reverb

Reverb/Short Delay

When I'm indoors and a smaller venue, I stick to reverb and try not to get too wet to keep from muddying things up. When I'm outdoors, I add the delay in and wetten up the sound a little. Since I am just running Acoustic Guitar and vocals, I keep the guitar fx a littled dryer.

Again, I think I do an OK job with my sound considering my situation. But I would appreciate any constructive criticism that you can provide.

Thanks,

Anthony

• Members

Less is more.

Consider the room, a live room will benefit from less effects.

Consider the effects in context with the environment. A lot of effects, especially big lus long effects outdoors is often unbelievable, out of place and calls attention to itself as being "just not quite right".

• Members

Good point. I try not to overdo it. I generally start with the factory preset settings and go from there. Problem is that some of the presets are a little too much for me. I know exactly what you mean about calling too much attention. Especially with delay, I tend to shorten the delay time so its not so obvious.

Should I just try to stick with room or hall reverb outdoors?

• Members

I'm a "less is more" fan as well, especially for reverb and delay.

I like to dial in the effect so I can just hear it, then back off a bit. To me, you want to have the effect but leave people wondering why it sounds that way. It should enhance your sound, not overpower or dominate it.

• Members
I like to dial in the effect so I can just hear it, then back off a bit.

The only issue with that is if you dial it in without the band playing at full tilt it probably isn't enough. But if you crank it up enough to be meaningful when the band is wailing it will be too much between songs and possibly in quieter sections. A good reason to have it on a fader you can "ride" :cool: .

• Members

I was wondering what most of you recommend. I have been using either the room or small hall reverb. Since I have built in effects, I can only use one at a time, so I use the same for both guitar and vocals. Is it better to have a seperate effects unit to run a seperate effect on guitar than vocals?

Archived