We need a dedicated monitor for our keyboardist - Adding to house's monitors?

• Members

The horizon mentioned above works well. Bang for the buck...I think the MST-412 from audiopile is a much better deal. 4 channels of splits for just over $100 and works well. If you're just going to run the keyboardists vocals, any halfway decent powered 12" box will work. My personal favorite is the QSC Hpr122i. But they just came out with a new series (K-series) thats getting good reviews. Also I like a decent 1/3 octave on any monitor.

• Members

Situations like this are why I have a TC Helicon VSM300XT (and a VSM200XT for that matter). The break-out box gives full pass through of vocals and whatever - I balance my own vocal and keyboard levels with the monitor mix I get from the desk.

• Members

I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility of getting a powered monitor that accepts speaker level. I know that the Yorkville E160P (just discontinued, plenty of them used) accepts speaker levels as well as line levels. I own a couple of these and have used the speaker level mode in a pinch - box mixer on a low pro gig.

I don't know how the overall resistance would be effected (check specs I guess) but it would offer quick and easy access to the front wedges, and "volume, treble and bass" controls. You just take a quarter inch speaker cable from the appropriate wedge and run that to the quarter inch in on the E160P.

There should be other manufacturers (and other Yorkville models) offering this feature, might be worth a look.

• Members
There are plenty of DI's that accept speaker level and output line level XLR
:cool:

Oh yea... way back when, I used an H&K speaker to line transformer. Lack of sleep makes me slow, or is that stunned. Anyway, still worth a look.

• Members

The H&K Red Box lets you take a speaker-level and steal a line-level signal from it. I didn't remember about that, now I think this is getting somewhere! I'll look into that Yorky E160P and also use my brother's REd Box to see how well that works, and test it for audio quality. It SHOULD sound good for vocals.

Archived