Kurzweil PC4 vs. PC4 SE - Opinions?

GigMan

• Members

Looking to replace my 13 yr. Roland RD300GX, which has served me well on hundreds of gigs over the years - 1 keyboard setup gigs.  For bigger gigs where I bring 2 keyboards (weddings, banquets, parties - ie, NOT cramped bar gigs), I use a Yamaha MoFX8 & a Korg Kronos 61.

Considering purchase of a Kurzweil PC4 - nice light weight/portability, variety of good sounds, lots of physical controls (faders, "hard buttons," etc.) that eliminates menu-diving for simple tasks (layering, splits, etc.).  I am aware that Kurzweil has a reputation for "reliability issues" but I am willing to assume that risk. 

I am also eyeing up the Kurzweil PC4 SE as a cheaper but viable alternative - which looks to have the exact same keybed/action and mostly the same sounds? - - for a lot less money (about $800 difference from my vendor).  

One MAJOR difference which kind of matters to me is after-touch: the PC4 has it, the PC4 SE does NOT have it.  Not sure if should be the tipping point for me or not, as I would ONLY want to employ after-touch on a few sounds here and there... but it is really nice to have when you want to use it.

Looking for opinions - esp. from anyone has played both, or owns one vs. the other (PC4 vs. PC4 SE) - - thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

KingConga -

Thx for the suggestion but I'm looking for simplicity/portability - like an "all-in-one" keyboard such as the Kurzweil PC4 or PC4 SE - without having to drag a laptop around, and without having to bring a sound module and connect to a MIDI controller.  I did that years ago - used a Kurzweil MicroPiano, controlled by an Ensoniq KS-32.  It got the job done but these days I'd prefer the simplicity of just 1 keyboard - for certain gigs. 

I can get a new Kurzweil PC4SE for $1,500 - I don't think that's unreasonable for a high quality instrument.  I play almost 100 gigs a year, so it would pay for itself pretty quickly... I have a day job as in IT support in an NJ public school district, so I don't play full-time - if I did, I'd shoot for 200 gigs a year!! ha ha - -

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I wound up buying the Kurzweil PC4 - great 'board w/a nice overall light weight, yet a decent playing action. 

Some really nice sounds in it - but I would have to say my Yamaha MoFX8 gives it a run for the money as far as Fender Rhodes & Clavinet sounds!

Edited by GigMan