What are the five ways of using 5 way binding posts?

• Members

What are the five ways of using 5 way binding posts?

I could only think of two, maybe three: banana plug, bare wire, and maybe spade lug, although I think that is really the same as bare wire.

• Members

Taken from Wikipedia:

* Banana plugs, inserted into the open end of the binding post

* Pin connectors, inserted into a hole drilled through the metal post and clamped by the screw-down portion of the binding post.

* Bare wire inserted through the same hole and clamped, or

* Wrapped around the metal post and clamped.

* A lug terminal inserted around the metal post and clamped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_post

• Members

Okay, I get what you are saying. I wasn't even thinking about that extra set of holes, as I was thinking about the CHASSIS mount binding post, which doesn't have that connection... I thought you were referring to the hole running crosswise through the post. Sorry for the confusion.

• Members

I believe the hole under the post is sized for pins, not banana plugs.

Of course, I could be wrong. My wife tells me that happens all the time...

Trying to figure out which hole we are talking about.

If it is the hole through the metal shaft then in some cases you can fit a banana plug through it, in others you can't. I have run an old yamaha P3200 with banana plugs through the hole in the post which are then clamped down.

• Members

There are two holes in a chassis mount banana jack. There's the hole in the center of the face of the jack. That is large enough for the banana plug to fit into.

Then there's the smaller pin size hole that is drilled perpendicular to the post itself. I can get a #14 size stranded wire into that hole with a bit of encouragement.

• Members

There are two holes in a chassis mount banana jack. There's the hole in the center of the face of the jack. That is large enough for the banana plug to fit into.

Then there's the smaller pin size hole that is drilled perpendicular to the post itself. I can get a #14 size stranded wire into that hole with a bit of encouragement.

On some binding posts that I have met these holes are big enough for a banana plug - and way more secure.

Give me a day or two, I'll find an amp that has one and take pics with a banana plug in it.

Archived