To Sub or not to Sub....

• Members

I have the Yami 115's over 118's and they work well for me.Would I buy different next time? If I had the money yes mostly for weight.If that is what your budget is, they work good.Of course I don't have to cover as much area as some of these guys.They are right about the difference subs make.It will set you above the bands that don't.We are a three piece classic rock band and I had a club owner come to me and say he didn't understand how he can get a band with more people and they don't sound as "big" as we do.If I was buying again it would be 12's over 18's either JBL or QSC.Yorkville is not easily available around here.

• Members

Excellent thread!

I'm considering adding subs to my bass player's existing system and this has been really helpful. I like the idea of powered subs, but it seems like the SP118/GX5 suggestion can't be beat by price or power for comparably priced pair of powered subs. Plus I can add a pair of 12" mains later down the road so I eventually have my own system.

• Members

I was thinking of a GX5 with two 115 cabs on poles w/ two 118 subs.

Been doing some reading and now I'm confused ... can a single GX5 drive two mains and two subs?

Is this how you would hook this up?

Amp Channel 1 -> LeftSub -> RightSub? (parallel jacks on SP188?)

Amp Channel 2 -> LeftMain -> RightMain?

QSC's amp selector doesn't even recommend the GX5 for the Peavey SP118's. Says the PV118 is fine for GX5.

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/advanced_amp_selector.htm

• Members

Been doing some reading and now I'm confused ... can a single GX5 drive two mains and two subs?

Is this how you would hook this up?

Amp Channel 1 -> LeftSub -> RightSub? (parallel jacks on SP188?)

Amp Channel 2 -> LeftMain -> RightMain?

QSC's amp selector doesn't even recommend the GX5 for the Peavey SP118's. Says the PV118 is fine for GX5.

Mono signal from your mixer to Channel 1 input on GX5. Crossover switch set to crossover. Your subs on channel 1 daisy-chained. Tops on Channel 2 daisy-chained. That's 350 watts per box. Your system is now mono. If you want to run stereo you need 2 GX5's.

• Members

The GX5 is not the perfect match for putting two SP118 subs on one channel, but it'd work. Mains on one side/subs on the other (assuming all cabs are 8 ohms) would mean that each cab would get roughly 350W. As stated, it'd work just fine. The SP118 (depending on version) could take 500W easy and one on each side of a GX5 would be a very good match. I run a pair of the 500W version subs on a bridged Crater SPA1400 at ~660W/ea. and that's just about a perfect fit.

• Members
The GX5 is not the
perfect
match for putting two SP118 subs on one channel, but it'd work. Mains on one side/subs on the other (assuming all cabs are 8 ohms) would mean that
each
cab would get roughly 350W. As stated, it'd work just fine. The SP118 (depending on version) could take 500W easy and one on each side of a GX5 would be a very good match. I run a pair of the 500W version subs on a bridged
Crater
SPA1400 at ~660W/ea. and that's just about a perfect fit.

that's a lot of juice for those cabs. Those are great little power amps too!

• Members

Mains on one side/subs on the other (assuming all cabs are 8 ohms) would mean that
each
cab would get roughly 350W.

OK, that's what I thought. So it would be about half power to each cab by daisy chaining the subs and mains off the two channels on a single amp. This wouldn't be underpowered then? How would it affect sound quality versus two amps (1 for subs, 1 for mains)?

If I just ran the subs off each channel of the GX5 then I would want a crossover in front of that?

Thanks guys. This has been extremely helpful.

• Members

Excellent thread!

I'm considering adding subs to my bass player's existing system and this has been really helpful. I like the idea of powered subs, but it seems like the SP118/GX5 suggestion can't be beat by price or power for comparably priced pair of powered subs. Plus I can add a pair of 12" mains later down the road so I eventually have my own system.

If you're talking new SP 118's, I don't think the GX5 is a very good choice unless cost is your driving factor and you don't need to take full advantage of the subs potential. The new SP 118 has a 600w rms 8 ohm driver in it while the GX5 is only rated for 500w per channel. Sure it will work, but you're limiting yourself to less headroom which I like to have for the transient attack of a kick and increasing the risk of driving the amp to it's limit.

YMMV, Winston.

• Members

all 4 cabs off a single GX5 would be pretty weak. I've done it at a really small show and it was very mediocre. Add another gx5 and it's a decent little system, or get a Xover and another amp. there are lots of RMX amps around these days used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello all, i have stumbled across this great forum and am in hope of help. I am a drummer and recently bought a Roland kit. My intentions were at first justified due to the reality of a baby to soon be roaming the airspace but now im questioning them without being able to use them (with others) . I love the kit, but now need amplification. And I know there are many forums out there, but none quite like you guys. Everyone suggests the craziest things anywhere from a keyboard/ bass amp which you all know is insane; to rolands over priced dinky v-drum amp (pm-30). I am in the process of building a PA system for this kit to punch the walls and need some help as I am not an audio guy (I wish I was, I love the stuff, just not smart enough).

So now that I hope im accepted as a newbie, here

Archived