Peavey Kosmos

• Members

I just got a Peavey Kosmos at a garage sale for $50. Would it do me much good? I did a search, and mostly found that the general consensus is that it's not bad if you have enough power for your subs (if I'm getting what everyone was saying, that is). I run newer Peavey SP218's powered by a Peavey gps3500 in stereo, so I'm running them at the continuous rating for the speakers. Also the matching SP2's powered by a Crown microtech 1200 (bridged), which gives them about 650 watts apiece. Also, it has a crossover point at 90hz, but I crossover around 120ish. Any ideas if there'd be a problem here? I'm kinda thinking that I probably will just try to sell it for what I gave for it, but just wanted to see what you fine folks here thought.

• Members

...it's not bad if you have enough power for your subs .

Well it can't make something out of nothing. The list of your equipment doesn't matter as much as how much do you have left over when you are operating it.

So now that you bought it ... wouldn't the sensible thing to do be to try it and see if it works FOR YOU? I have no idea of your use for it. For a DJ on an overall mix with no headroom is one thing ... for live sound with it inserted on an individual instrument or two is another.

• Members

I use one in live sound inserted on my drum and bass using it like an effect. Did not like it on my main mix for live sound. DJ music it sounded great.

A little goes a long way.It enhances what is there,so if its good its makes it better, if its bad it makes it worse.

• Members

I've used one several times run on an aux and used on the kick drum. Used sparingly it can give that nice low end shake that you feel but don't hear. Run it too hard and you can fry your subs. It served it's purpose best when I was doing cover bands that did mainly dance tunes. It's good for the booty shakin' stuff to get the room shaking.

• Members

Like a Maximizer or Exciter, it has two functions:

1) Add subharmics that subwoofers cannot reproduce, thus reducing system headroom (but some might like the extra distortion from the subs - until they quit working).

2) Remove real nuances and replace them with artificial nuances.

When the unit first came out, they had sound files of unprocessed and processed studio mixes on the PV website. Compared to the unprocessed mixes, the processed mixes sounded like tape copies that were a couple of generations down (for you youngsters, that would mean that the processed files sounded like MP3 files as compared to 24/96 files).

• Members

There are two sections to a Kosmos. A low frequency generator and a high frequency section that at first glance is similar to an exciter. But the HF section works differently than a BBE or Aphex. It does it's thing without adding harmonics. Instead it emphasizes the difference between two signals

The Kosmos creates new signal. Since it mostly creates a lot of bass you have to have the system there to play it back. If someone's system is already maxxed out the Kosmos can't add anything.

• Members

Like a Maximizer or Exciter, it has two functions:

1) Add subharmics that subwoofers cannot reproduce, thus reducing system headroom (but some might like the extra distortion from the subs - until they quit working).

Except that the Maximizer and Exciter products do not add subharmonics...

• Members

Exciters & Enhancers are two different processes, one adds some higher ordered harmonics and the other does some filtered boosting and the side effects of the filters causes phase shift that is turned into a "feature". There are also varients on these themes, dynamic filters etc. Some of the processes are patenetd and some are not.

Archived