Mackie CFX20 - Good Mixer? Step up from Behringer?

• Members

Hello I am looking to upgrade my home studio mixer from a Behringer SL2442 Pro FX. I have been eyeing the Mackie CFX20, I wanted to get opinions from the professionals here if the Mackie CFX20 is a major step up from the Behringer. Will I notice an improvement in noise reduction and sound quality with the CFX20 over the SL2442 Pro FX?

Again it is not being used live, only used in home home studio thru a few Roland Studio monitors, I really feel the need to upgrade as the behringer is quite noisy and I felt the Mackie would give me better sound quality, pre-amps, effects and improved overall performance based off the Mackie brand and rep..... NOTE: I am NOT using it for home recording I am using a M-Audio Project Mix I/O to record into my Mac.

I see Mackie has the new MKII out as well but not sure if its a major step up from the previous generation CFX20. Any guidance or experience you have with this would be appreciated..

Looking to push the button in the next couple days as there are some useds CFX20's around that I am eyeing vs a new CFX20 MKII...

• Members

I use a CFX12mkII that i use for my weekend warrior cover band. I really like it. Doesnt have a lot of bells and whistles (I consider that a good thing) and it sounds great to my ears. It's as quiet as whatever you plug into it; meaning that it generates no noise that i can hear. For home recording though, not your best choice since it doesnt have individual outputs for each channel

• Members

For a while, I had the notion that Mackie was a good brand. Anymore, I'm not convinced. Just yesterday, I was talking to this guy in a studio down the way from ours who was using a Mackie 1604 mixer (I think). Periodically, the thing would send an awful alarm sounding buzz through every out on the board (at maximum volume). He sent it in to Mackie not once, not twice but three times. Every time it was "fixed". Didn't tell him why, but that it was "fixed". It kept happening. Upon the third time, he told them not to send the mixer back to him - they did, telling him it was fixed. It did it again.

Aside from their speakers sucking, there a... a... great brand. :facepalm:

Look into Yamaha.

• Members

I assume it is, as the light hum is not from the keyboards I have connected... Those are the only instruments connected to the mixer, so when I boast the gain I hear the humm..... but from some of the feedback here, the Mackie is not apparantly a step up from Behringer? Please share rationale for the comments...

Are you stating the SL2442 is Behrninger's top quality with the CFX Mackie's poor quality so thus a wash or has Behringer improved to the status of Mackie?

• Members

I too had the CFX20.

When I became the DeFacto soundguy, I knew nothing except the basics.

Sound goes from mic-mixer-amp-speakers.

So I bought cheap, and made it work.

Truthfully, I can't remember if there were any issues with the board. I knew it worked, and everyone was happy after the gigs.

Now, I have some knowledge about what I am doing, and also the quality of the equipment I am using.

thanks to this group, and lots of questions to soundguys.

Now I know the difference between a Behringer Euromixer, and a can of Shinola

• Members

i mixed at a club for a little while that had a cfx series. i hated that mixer. the channel assignment was really annoying the way you were forced to assign channels to the groups instead of just going directly to the L and R.

i say make what you have work for you until you can afford something more. an allen and heath ZED would be good in your application i bet and you could use the preamps to record also.

also i would go through and throughly troubleshoot where your hum problem is originating by eliminating things from the system.

• Members

I assume it is, as the light hum is not from the keyboards I have connected... Those are the only instruments connected to the mixer, so when I boast the gain I hear the humm..... but from some of the feedback here, the Mackie is not apparantly a step up from Behringer? Please share rationale for the comments...

Are you stating the SL2442 is Behrninger's top quality with the CFX Mackie's poor quality so thus a wash or has Behringer improved to the status of Mackie?

Even a Behringer shouldn't add substantial noise. Try sending a hotter signal from the keyboard and turning the preamp gain down on the mixer.

• Members

I was loaned a CFX20 (they had just came out) when I had my Behringer MX2442A in for a few repairs (back when they repaired their products). I prefer the MX2442A. Mackie has/had a bunch of decent products but they sold too long on ADVERTISING and reputation FROM the advertising.

Boomerweps

• Members

The CFX is definitely not a step up from the Behringer. Both are basically low end consumer boards and I would not use either one of them in a mission critical situation. The Behringer has some quality problems and some poor business practices. The CFX has a relatively high rate of failures due to ribbon problems and some documented power supply problems. That kind of makes it a wash. Mackie's reputation for quality has taken a huge hit over the past few years.

Did you try unplugging everything from the Behringer to see if you still had the noise. I think it might be coming from somewhere else.

• Members

You're sure it's not form the keyboards? My korg makes all kinds of noise from the mono out and relatively none from the 'headphone' out.

• Members

I've owned a couple of Behringer mixers, though not one this large. They both were quiet, which was their most positive feature. I have read that the more channels a Behringer has, the noiser it can get though. Maybe that's what's going on but I suspect if it's excessive noise it's from another source or there's something wrong with the mixer. And that's always a possibility with this brand.

I agree with the consensus that a Mackie CFX is no upgrade.

• Members

Hmmm Thanks all for the guidance, I guess I need to re-punt on this one, I will try eliminating different keyboards and rack modules from the board to isolate the noise. Truthfully the noise in the mixer was the #1 reason why I did not use it for studio recording and went to the Project Mix I/O. Additionally one of the main channels goes in and out.

The hum also could be that I am a novice at running sound and that the graphic eq is set incorrectly.

Those suggesting Yamaha as a step up, What Yam mixer would you recommend. I need at least 24 channels similar to the Behringer and Mackie but I do want something that is an upgrade. I do have the Yamaha EMX312 SC mixer/amp with the matching Yamaha Club Speaker set (2 mains / 2 monitors) and I've had GREAT success with them in live settings. I knew Yamaha to be leaders in all of their instrument/equipment categories but did think Mackie edged them out in the mixing boards since that apparently was there competitive advantage product.

Would 1 or a pair of the Yamaha 01/Vs be a step in the right direction? Again they would only be used for studio play back applications, no recording unless the suggested product could be run right into my Alesis Masterlink for clear quick session/practice recordings.

• Members

Hmmm Thanks all for the guidance, I guess I need to re-punt on this one, I will try eliminating different keyboards and rack modules from the board to isolate the noise. Truthfully the noise in the mixer was the #1 reason why I did not use it for studio recording and went to the Project Mix I/O. Additionally one of the main channels goes in and out.

The hum also could be that I am a novice at running sound and that the graphic eq is set incorrectly.

Those suggesting Yamaha as a step up, What Yam mixer would you recommend. I need at least 24 channels similar to the Behringer and Mackie but I do want something that is an upgrade. I do have the Yamaha EMX312 SC mixer/amp with the matching Yamaha Club Speaker set (2 mains / 2 monitors) and I've had GREAT success with them in live settings. I knew Yamaha to be leaders in all of their instrument/equipment categories but did think Mackie edged them out in the mixing boards since that apparently was there competitive advantage product.

Would 1 or a pair of the Yamaha 01/Vs be a step in the right direction? Again they would only be used for studio play back applications, no recording unless the suggested product could be run right into my Alesis Masterlink for clear quick session/practice recordings.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. You're looking for a solution without having a proper grasp of the problem. Find out where the hum and noise is coming from then decide how to deal with it. I think it's very unlikely it's the mixer.

• Members

If it makes you feel better...Phonic manufactures Yamaha products. Given the negative feedback people say about behringer being made in china and not made in USA...Yamaha products are not made in USA either.

I've never heard anybody complain about where Behringer is made. Most complaints are quality (even the Chinese can't solve poor design with cheap parts) and business practices.

• Members

why do you need a mixer for recording when you have a project mix? i think that is the biggest thing. it's not clear to me what this mixer is for.

Well I do not use the project mix for band rehearsal as the project mix is only used during protools sessions for recording so I would still need a mixer for band practice ,and my own personal practice time with my various boards. The mixer is a necessity as the there are months that go by that I do not record.

• Members

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. You're looking for a solution without having a proper grasp of the problem. Find out where the hum and noise is coming from then decide how to deal with it. I think it's very unlikely it's the mixer.

With regards to the humm I am working to eliminate it but still need a new mixer to replace the behringer, I am working to identify which instrument is creating the humm.....

I am hoping the 01V will be an upgrade and provide a clearer system for band practices and home use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For those interested:

I just took ownership of a new Yamaha MG2414 FX - 24 Channel 14 bus mixer. Its sounds amazing and it extremely intuitive to use, its definitely a step up from the Behringer I owned and Mackie I was looking at, thanks to those who recommended Yamaha, I should have known better :cop: , they make EXCELLENT, high quality products.. :thu:

Archived