Headphone Problem

• Members

Hi all!

I'm undecided as to which headphones I should buy. They are for mixing on stage (which I currently do with guesswork and remembering where things should be for each song). I know mixing on stage isn't ideal, but is better than the in house engineers most of the time, because we have a very unique setup.

It is between the HD25 SL and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They are both about the same price. I'm having a conflict between what I want and what I need! I'd really like to buy some GRADO SR60is (which are cheaper and will sound far better for general music listening, but are open-backed and probably not very flat) or some Audio-Technica ATH-ES7s because they look cool :D

I'll be driving them with either a Project Headbox MK2 or a Rega Ear if I can get one cheap on ebay.

Cheers!

• Members

Hi all!

I'd really like to buy some GRADO SR60is (which are cheaper and will sound far better for general music listening, but are open-backed

Cheers!

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't consider an open-backed headphone for monitoring "Live" sound. I can see going with closed-back if you are recording, to avoid possibe "bleed" into the mic. I find most closed-back headphones tend to be articially bass-heavy, and most sound like crap anyway, as far as critical listening goes. The only decent headphones I've ever used, are by Stax, but they cost an arm and a leg. Waste of money in your situation.

Bob

• Members

I was going for a closed back pair for isolation. That way I can mix at a lower level and save my ears. I'd be much better off with the in ear type, but they cost an arm and a leg for a good pair, and they can be uncomfortable to wear (I don't really like having things in my ears).

Half the problem is I don't have an amp. I was just going from the phono outs on my Delta 1010LT. I think I will start there, and if the current headphone are not up to it, I'll find another pair.

Has anyone used the Raga Ear or the HeadBox?

• Members

Headphones, while great for checking a soloed channel, are in no way indicative of your mix, particlularly on smaller stages where stage wash plays a major part of the finished product out front. Instead of headphones, spend your money on a good wireless and get out front where you can hear your mix where it matters most.

• Members

HD280 Pro it is! :D

I'm terrible at choosing what to buy. Sorry if I annoyed anyone (which it seems I have).

To answer your question AgedHorse, I'm a keyboardist in a band called Rosie. We have been playing under various styles of music for a while and recently we have settled on a completely computer driven setup. We run vocals, guitar, keys and synth bass on a rackmount PC.

We find this gives us a much better, more "together" sound. For larger gigs I use an 8 channel DI box to output the different components separately, but each song that we play needs a different mix, and for someone who doesn't know the sound this can be difficult. Our last gig the sound technician assumed that the guitarist is a "lead" guitarist (we don't actually have a lead, he just pretty much pads out the sound) and turned him right up. The resulting sound was definitely not right.

We have no money to hire a full time tech, so I have to do it myself. This way I just give them a stereo feed. They don't like it, but it sounds better in the long run.

Thanks for your help guys! I know this was a pretty awkward question to ask, it's not exactly a headphone forum.

• Members

Ahhhhh, here's a trick to making this work without making guesses and assumptions that may or may not be correct on the fly.

Program your segments to include volumes of each part within the software. Then when you assemble the mix, all the parts will track each other with relative volumes. Each song will have volume parameters for each part that fit within the song's arrangement.

Trying to do this while playing is like a surgeon performing an operation on himself. Often ends poorly, even though he may know exactly what he is doing andwhat he wants the outcome to be.

You might also want a totally duplicate hot backup computer, if (or more specifically WHEN) you have a glitch or lock-up, at least your not SOL dead in the water. How do you think your audience will respond when the band goes "silent"?

• Members

If you want serious isolation, have a look at Beyerdynamic DT770M. It doesn't get much more isolated than that, and Beyer makes excellent sounding headphones.

If you don't want to spend that much, I'm a big fan of the HD280 Pro.

I've used the Beyerdynamic headphones as well (I'm not sure of the exact model no. but DTxxxM rings a bell). I'd agree that they isolate really well and I way prefered their sound quality over the ever popular sony phones (which IMHO are seriously too bright). The Beyers were efficient, would get plenty loud if needed, and didn't cause too much fatigue over time.

:thu: for Beyerdynamics phones.

• Members

Best isolation and best sound I've heard from a closed phone: Extreme Headphones EX29 (make sure they are the latest version). $100 anywhere.

Better sound but perhaps less isolation: M-Audio IE-10. $100 anywhere.

Next best isolation and sound: Senny 280, but unless they are $50, get one of the above.

Is it a good idea? I doubt it. But one needs a good set of headphones or buds regardless.

• Members

Best isolation and best sound I've heard from a closed phone: Extreme Headphones EX29 (make sure they are the latest version). $100 anywhere.

Better sound but perhaps less isolation: M-Audio IE-10. $100 anywhere.

Next best isolation and sound: Senny 280, but unless they are $50, get one of the above.

Is it a good idea? I doubt it. But one needs a good set of headphones or buds regardless.

Where have you seen the Sen 280s for $50? The cheapest I have ever seen then is $80.

• Members

Where have you seen the Sen 280s for $50? The cheapest I have ever seen then is $80.

I haven't seen them for $50 for a long time. I was making a point in a round-about way: @ $50 they are a good value, @ $80, spend the extra $20 on the others, @ $100....

Archived