Not So OT: Oh God, not again (At least 100 Killed in Nightclub Fire)

• Members

Apparently it was the fireworks that set it off.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/12/russian_nightclub_explosion_ki.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Perm_nightclub_explosion

The malfunctioned firework burst into flames, with walls and ceiling, decorated with woven twigs, quickly catching fire and filling the building with smoke. A panic and a stampede ensued when many patrons found themselves cut off from the exit, with some unaware of the emergency exit's location.

:cry::idk:

V.

• Members

Tragic.

When I used to tour a lot (and even now I guess) I would locate all the emergency exits in the club and hotel - and make sure they worked. I once found an exit door in a high end hotel that was jammed shut!

I'd also count the steps, or mark the distance, from my room to the first stairwell in case I had to walk/crawl it in the dark.

I've been in two hotel, and one apartment fire - can never be too careful.

• Members

I've been in two hotel, and one apartment fire - can never be too careful.

Whoa. something i've yet to experience, thankfully.

Fire safety protocols are no trivial annoyance, they're there for a reason! I don't know what the fire codes are like in Russia but if they're pretty lax, lets hope this changes things.

• CMS Author

And to think I'm considered a dick for enforcing fire code and life safety issues at our venue. Usually, when I point out that if something were to happen, I would be the first one they thank on the way out the exit.

And if you didn't, you'd be the first their estate's attorney would contact.

• Members

That, my friend is bad luck. I thought I was bad being in two tornados and a hurricane. No fires, though.

Yea, but on the other hand I consider myself lucky. No injuries or deaths in any of those cases, and damage was minimal except for the apartment fire (the apartment where it started).

Now a tornado - that could be scary!

I did know of a drummer though, who was on an extended tour in Asia, I believe it was Taipei. He went to sleep one night and never woke up - carbon monoxide poisoning. That was very sad.

Archived