Small PA advice

• Members

I get together with my buddies from yime to time in our livingrooms. We are mainly acoustic with me playing my Tele at acoustic volumes. We occasionally break the "sound barrier" so I'm looking for a small PA to help with things.

So far I'm looking at the Mackie ProFX12 mixer and either the Mackie SRM350vs or JBL EON 510 speakers. The JBL's are a little more than what I wanted to spend but they look like I would get more.

I already have the mikes (Neuman KMS105's, AKG 535's, Shure SM 81's and a few others.

Any suggestions?

• Members

You should also consider Peavey PR12D powered speakers for a couple hundred $$$ less than the JBL. They probably won't play quite as loud max ... but if you don't really need the slight extra level the smooth bottom end advantage goes to the PRs.

Most here don't have the luxury of KM105's:thu:

• Members
You should also consider Peavey PR12D powered speakers for a couple hundred $$$ less than the JBL. They probably won't play quite as loud max ... but if you don't really need the slight extra level the smooth bottom end advantage goes to the PRs.

I'm really likin' mine - and at 28lbs I can carry them both at once no prob :love:. They seem to keep up with a pair of horribly overpowered :eek: PV118's no prob.

• Members

Most here don't have the luxury of KM105's:thu:

How do the Peavy's compare to the Mackie SRM350v2's? How about the Mackie ProFX12 mixer?

Thanks

• Members

I get together with my buddies from yime to time in our livingrooms. We are mainly acoustic with me playing my Tele at acoustic volumes. We occasionally break the "sound barrier" so I'm looking for a small PA to help with things.

So far I'm looking at the Mackie ProFX12 mixer and either the Mackie SRM350vs or JBL EON 510 speakers. The JBL's are a little more than what I wanted to spend but they look like I would get more.

I already have the mikes (Neuman KMS105's, AKG 535's, Shure SM 81's and a few others.

Any suggestions?

JBL EON 510 !!!! Had 10" G2s...sold them !!

lighter 17 lbs

louder at 280W

great low-end for 10s

very clear sound as well.

It's incredible how good the EONs sounded with the Mackie VLZ3 mixer,

the mic pres were noticeably better !!

but you'd have to use external effects.

BUt, am curious why you need a PA when you play at acoustic volumes ??

a cheaper alternative from the Mackie PRofx mixer is the Yamaha MG..CX mixers. I don't know what sounds better, but it's worth checking out.

• Members

BUt, am curious why you need a PA when you play at acoustic volumes ??

Good question

These guys I hang with are some well qualified musicicans. The Dobro player (he plays a Sheerhorn) the guitar player and the fiddle player along with electric bass are accomplished, aggressive players and can deliver when needed. I play Tele and can do it balanced with the acoustics. As I said, there are times with the instrumentation going that we need a little something to help the vocals. I figured something small and quality.

• Members

Get yourself one of these, and you'll be a happy camper; vocals sound incredible thru this lil' sweetheart. You could also plug your Tele into a Pod, then into the amp, and it'll sound amazing.

http://dreamguitars.stores.yahoo.net/aer.html

Re; Mackie;

Not for me thanks. If you ever need service, you'll probably need more than good luck.

Bob

• Members

Check my post that I put up recently.

I am selling EV Sb122's. They would work wonderful for what you are trying to do!

I am including Yorkville adjustable poles (for free) so you put a small light top speaker on it for a clean look!

I think you can do better than Eon's. The RCF Maxx10a is amazing for its size and will blow the pants off the JBL. There is alos the FBT Maxx2a which will not get as loud as the RCF but it sounds sooo sweet. Like a nice studio monitor, only louder.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=37805217#post37805217

Archived