Search not working... budget snake advice?

• Members

There was never any 18pair cable made by any manufacturer that I was aware of and I used to sell Whirlwind back then. I'm sure you have things mixed up. 19 pair was the standard and all snake manufacturers offered 16x2 as standard, even Whirlwind. The Medusa line was 16x3, die cast Hammond boxes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There was never any 18pair cable made by any manufacturer that I was aware of and I used to sell Whirlwind back then. I'm sure you have things mixed up. 19 pair was the standard and all snake manufacturers offered 16x2 as standard, even Whirlwind. The Medusa line was 16x3, die cast Hammond boxes.

Yah, I do remember looking up Belden cable back then and that it only came in odd numbers of pairs. In the dark days before the internet we had to go through a local music shop so maybe they didn't tell us that a 16x3 was available and pushed us into a customized 16x2 > 15x3 but who knows :freak:? I wasn't the one that bought the snake so I suppose it could have been ordered as a 17x2 for some bizarre reason - I really only remember it had one line turned around from normal at the factory :confused:.

• Members

The more I think about it the more I remember it being a 17x? - the guy that ordered it wanted a spare send for when one eventually went bad I think? If it was a 17x2 I'm sure we turned that channel back around as we definitely ran stereo + monitors. Ouch, if I keep straining my memory like this I'm gonna have to take up serious drinkin' or somethin' :lol:.

• Members

But one guy's truck boxes were opened, and
all
his trade tools were gone.

Man,...the look on his face spoke more than any words.

I can visualize the look... It's like a workingman's rape... since those who'd steal tools don't need tools, because if they needed tools, they'd be working for a living (and wouldn't be stealing tools). It's not just a theft, but rather a violation.

• Members

Carvin buys their snakes from other manufactures and stamps their name on them. For a long while the quality was decent, anyone in the market of making a snake was doing it pretty good. I remember maybe 5-6 years ago and their snake was the same as American Cable Co, or crap. I don't know what they use now, not sure.

Archived