Live guitar sound suggestions.

• Members

Some thoughts. I've played outside at private parties without a PA. Ok the singer had one for her but the rest of us mixed as best we could. There are a few things to consider. First, the drums are the limiting factor. Turn down to them. Next you need to think in terms of sonic space. Each instrument needs to be in the mix where it is not stepping on someone else. Start at the bottom. Drums, base guitar and Vocals. If you have a bass player, drop the base notes off the rhythm and let him take that..cut back on the bass on your amp. Next is that distortion that sounds great in your bedroom will mud up the sound of a band. Back way off on the distortion and you'll see how much better it sounds. Last, have someone walk the back of the area while your playing your first song or warm up and have them give you a signal up or down. How far you carry is just something your going to have to live with without a PA. You get what you get.

Good Luck!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
what is acceptable for setting my lows to? They are already at 5.

5 is just a number w/o hearing it. Does it sound bassy at 5? Maybe you are using too much gain? Maybe you are all too vlose together creating one big wall of muck w/o any separation of sounds? Maybe your drummer is too loud? Maybe your bass player is too loud? I take it you are only talking about practice, not an actual gig?

• Members

It's a bike show, and the people will vary from 100-anything , so there's not much exact specs at the gig.

I'm afraid you may well be booed off the stage if it's anything like some bike show gigs I have done. Maybe not so much booed, but worse; Ignored by the crowd. At least when your booed, you have their attention.

I don't want to down you. But, you must reconsider getting a PA for this show. And also someone who is capable of running it if you hope to come out of this with your dignity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with micing your equipment. ALL of it should be miced for this.

*I'm sorry, but this almost sounds like a troll.

• Members

Ok ,i'm sorry I didn't expect so many people to reply . i'll do my best to reply to each. We are all 14, it's a motocross show of some kind, bassist knows the arranger. yes we play instrumental covers of songs with vocals, and so I have to be flashy to keep interest.i mean like painfully flashy. we can't use the Pa because we are currently broke and can't get mics, and even if we did , my mom has the biggest car , and my half-stack barely fits with my guitar. (my allowance is like $10 and i very rarely get to keep it , because every time i get it , something breaks and i have to replace it.no we are probably not being paid, and this is the first gig. probably should have mentioned that earlier , but I was afraid I would be written off as an unworthy n00b.and i think it may be the bass , because before we got him , the drums were perfect and everything was smooth.sorry. if you guys want you can just forget about it. i just wanted to help us do well. and don't laugh , but , what is a troll? I keep hearing that on everything.

• Members

Click

y'know that's kinda annoying. I didn't know i was a troll-slayer.I kill those all the time on Youtube.Anyway , I'm not a troll.Or I didn't mean to be.Thanks for all the help.Hopefully i'll get more friends on the forum over time.Oh yeah I almost forgot, we don't do instrumental because we want to , it's because we can't find a vocalist.

Archived