Your typical input list/order?

• Members

Oh oh, I can beat everyone with my list.

1. Kick in e901

2. Kick out MD421

3. Snare top SM57

4. Snare Bottom SM57

5. Hats e914

6. Rack Tom 1 e904

7. Rack Tom 2 e904

8. Rack Tom 3 e904

9. Floor Tom 1 SM57

10. Floor Tom 2 SM57

11. OH e614

12. OH e614

13 Bass Mic MD421

14. Bass DI Klark Teknik

15. Guitar SR e606

16. Guitar SR SM57

17. Guitar SL e606

18. Guitar SL SM57

19. Sampler 1 L

20. Sampler 1 R

21. Laptop 2 L

22. Laptop 2 R

23. Drum Reverb L

24. Drum Reverb R

25. Vox SR SM58

26. Vox C SM58

27. Vox SL SM58

28. Drum Vox SM58

29. Spare SM58

30. Spare SM58

31. Empty

32. Empty

33. Empty

34. Empty

35. Vocal Delay Short L

36. Vocal Delay Short R

37. Vocal Delay Long L

38. Vocal Delay Long R

39. Vocal Reverb L

40. Vocal Reverb R

Drums go to Group 1 and 2 with compression

Instruments go to 3 and 4 with compression

(Brass goes to 5 and 6 with compression is they're there)

Vocals go to 7 and 8 with compression.

VCAs

1 is Kick, snare, hi hat and overhead

2 is Toms

3 is Bass

4 is Guitar SR

5 is Guitar SL

6 is Brass/keys

7 is Effects

8 is Vocal effects

9 is Vocals

10 is Grand Master without vocals

Pretty conventional, although I only really use this many channels when there are stage hands and the band is headlining. At smaller gigs, the e606s are ommitted on the guitars and effects and samples are run in mono.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

when i taught live SR i gave three basic layouts and explained many variations of the layouts. i have used all three layouts, although there are even more possible ways to layout channels; roadranger mentioned one that i DO NOT like but have tried in the past - nothing against roadranger i just find that concept hard to deal with when things start to go wrong.

the three i taught:

1. american - i use this when there are for example 14 vocal mics on stage. i want vox 12 to be on channel 12 of everything, snake, mixer etc. pretty normal in theatre (musicals etc) sometimes lounge acts etc. nothing wrong with this line of thought.

2. british - we all know what this is, and i generally use it. do i always use it? NO. this is the one that starts with drums, and has variations on how it ends up, sometimes vox end up in the middle or at the end. nothing wrong with this line of thought.

3. chaos - no one has mentioned this one yet. i AVOID this one like the plague but IT HAPPENS. this is where the layout makes no sense at all and things show up in an unlogical random order. tambourine is inbetween the autoharps, and an electric fiddle is inbetween tom 4 and the SR vox FX patch. kick drum has been placed next to the kazoo reverb and guitar pitch shifter. i have been faced with this scenario a few times and SURPRISE, i dont work for those folks anymore. i either pawned them off or walked.

there are more ways of thinking than these three.

when i do multiband shows i leave holes in the channels for extra stuff that crops up; in this case i think more in inst groups - drums area, strings area, vox area, fiddley area. i dont want tom 7 on channel 48 because i didnt leave enough drum channels in my "drum area" (i exaggerate)

the concept i like to keep in mind is this: if i were setting this layout up for someone a lot less experienced than myself to run at showtime, how can i make it easiest and clearest for that person?

• Members
roadranger mentioned one that i DO NOT like but have tried in the past

Just to be clear I've never used that method, just heard about it being used at festivals so's you can "find" things based on their location and not what they are. The locations of the instruments and even the types can change quite a bit from one set to the next :freak:.

• Members

i used it once, i had this group come in a few times and i tried them several ways; actually i have had a few groups like this and have found a way to do it well.

example: 8 person group, each person sings and plays an inst. thats 16 channels.

so, you could go SRvox1, SRinst1, SRvox2, SR inst2 etc etc all the way to SLvox8, SLinst8. i tried this first but i actually do not like this although i can see the logic.

the way i settled on in this situation was to do SRinst1, SRinst2, SRinst3 etc etc all the way to SLvox7, SLvox8. this works better for me having all the vox ina n 8 channel "group" esp if doing mon from FOH (or even at MON beach)

i do actually get a lot of these groups on my stage usually for an hour and then another similar group, so in these situations i use this "double group" method combined with my "multiband leave holes" method. it works.

i usually do not have anytime to use board tape or label anything so i have to lay things out in a way i can remember where things are instantly, and i have gotten quite good at it. if i were doing one band for a whole show, or maybe 2 bands i might label things but for 8 bands with 7 minute change forget it. i'll burn in my mind a few key points like "VOX STARTS ON CHANNEL 12" and that will be downstage SR to SL and the upstage SR to SL. pretty easy if there are 4 vox

Archived